Revell (Revell of Germany and Monogram)

Started by jcf, June 23, 2006, 09:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 10, 2021, 11:32:41 PM

I know nothing about Star Wars I'm afraid I was at the "just to old for it" when the franchise first appeared. One of my nephews however  :rolleyes:

Good God man...how old ARE you?? 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 10, 2021, 11:35:34 PM

I know nothing about Star Wars I'm afraid I was at the "just to old for it" when the franchise first appeared. One of my nephews however  :rolleyes:

;D ;D 69 and 3/4's if you must know.  ;D

I saw the first  3 films and thought they were quite good, but never "got into it". Not seen any of the others I'm afraid. Should I go and stand at the back of the class ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 10, 2021, 11:38:21 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 10, 2021, 11:35:34 PM

;D ;D 69 and 3/4's if you must know.  ;D

I saw the first  3 films and thought they were quite good, but never "got into it". Not seen any of the others I'm afraid. Should I go and stand at the back of the class ?  ;)

Yes. Yes you should.  And also you should watch Rogue One. Absolute best movie in the whole franchise. Just suspend disbelief for a few minutes at the convoluted way they install switches. 

jcf

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 10, 2021, 04:09:58 PM
Find it a tad annoying that the Star Wars releases, the Mandalorian Razor Crest and Outland TIE Fighter and the Boba Fett ship (renamed, no longer Slave 1) are all in different scales.  1/72 for Razor Crest but box scale 1/56 and 1/87 respectively for the other two.  Would have been nice to have all 3 in 1/72.

1/56th is a current wargaming "scale" and 1/87th is model railroad HO scale.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 10, 2021, 11:52:38 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 10, 2021, 04:09:58 PM
Find it a tad annoying that the Star Wars releases, the Mandalorian Razor Crest and Outland TIE Fighter and the Boba Fett ship (renamed, no longer Slave 1) are all in different scales.  1/72 for Razor Crest but box scale 1/56 and 1/87 respectively for the other two.  Would have been nice to have all 3 in 1/72.

1/56th is a current wargaming "scale" and 1/87th is model railroad HO scale.

Ahhh. Ok. Makes sense. I'm sure there are millions of model railroad enthusiasts just wishing for Slave 1. 

I just don't get why not go with established scales.

Weaver

Hobbycraft have announced their Black Friday sale, which is basically 25% off all Revell kits:

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/crafts-and-hobbies/model-making/plastic-model-kits
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

KiwiZac

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 17, 2021, 02:27:44 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 11, 2021, 12:05:43 AM

Nor do I
I want to say "because they're old moulds and maybe box scale", but Star Wars came out in 1977! Going by what I've seen online it's only in the last five years that new Star Wars kits have begun to adhere to the regular scales. Hence the (even modified) TIE being weird but the Razor Crest being 1/72. Likewise the old AT-AT and AT-ST kits were odd scales but the recent Bandai ones are standardised.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

jcf

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 19, 2021, 06:27:45 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 17, 2021, 02:27:44 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 11, 2021, 12:05:43 AM

Nor do I
I want to say "because they're old moulds and maybe box scale", but Star Wars came out in 1977! Going by what I've seen online it's only in the last five years that new Star Wars kits have begun to adhere to the regular scales. Hence the (even modified) TIE being weird but the Razor Crest being 1/72. Likewise the old AT-AT and AT-ST kits were odd scales but the recent Bandai ones are standardised.

The Fine Molds and Bandai kits are much older than five years. The Fine Molds 1/72nd X-Wing dates to 2001.

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

kitbasher

Quick question.  Does anyone have the Revell vintage/fit the box-scale B-57B, and if so can they confirm the kit is 1/80 scale and the fuselage length is just over 9 inches, please?  Happy for a metric value, will convert.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on April 03, 2022, 03:40:24 PM
Quick question.  Does anyone have the Revell vintage/fit the box-scale B-57B, and if so can they confirm the kit is 1/80 scale and the fuselage length is just over 9 inches, please?  Happy for a metric value, will convert.

The PAK-20 book says it's 1/85 scale, Revell and also boxed by Advent -- which was Revell's company that sold kits to department stores and such.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

IS there such a thing as a 'Metric Scale'?  ;D

It's just a number and is unit-less, by definition, surely?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit