Meteor PR.10

Started by Gondor, March 05, 2023, 07:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I decided to add this build to the other ideas I have had.

First off a pictures of what will maily be used in this build.

Box and bag of parts

Sprues and parts of the Matchbox kit. Some parts are loose because I removed unnecessary parts as it was going to be an NF.12 many years ago, now Special Hobby do that kit so using this for the Group build is not a problem.

The conversion set

The conversion should be straightforward as the Aeroclub set was designed for the kit. Not much will be seen inside the cockpit and it was painted black in there, cue the Rolling Stones.....

Decals will be found or sourced later as they should be around here somewhere....... if not there is plenty of time to get other ones from the Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

Remember some transverse  bulkheads. They'll hold the fuselage steady when trying to eliminate the join line of the top piece.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Great idea Lee. Only ever had the bits to build these and never got around to doing so. I am using one of the Meteor cockpits you gave me in this as it gives the nose wheel bay some depth and detail as well as something for the inside of the cockpit.

Gondor

kitbasher

Quote from: Gondor on March 05, 2023, 11:07:44 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on March 05, 2023, 10:47:34 AMSwedish, perhaps?

Yup  :thumbsup:

Nice

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 05, 2023, 12:46:38 PMRemember some transverse  bulkheads. They'll hold the fuselage steady when trying to eliminate the join line of the top piece.

And to lengthen the cockpit 'hole' in the replacement fuselage decking, it's a shade too short - pilots would otherwise definitely lose their knees when ejecting!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Quote from: kitbasher on March 05, 2023, 02:31:37 PM

Nice

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 05, 2023, 12:46:38 PMRemember some transverse  bulkheads. They'll hold the fuselage steady when trying to eliminate the join line of the top piece.

And to lengthen the cockpit 'hole' in the replacement fuselage decking, it's a shade too short - pilots would otherwise definitely lose their knees when ejecting!

I will use the new Airfix kit as a guide for the hole then.

Forgot to say yesterday, a blood sacrifice has been given to the modelling gods as I was stupid and attempted to make a cut while holding things the wrong way around. My blade slipped and I had a cut on the top of my little finger which bled a little. No real problem, just a slightly awkward place for a cut.

Gondor

Wardukw

Quote from: Gondor on March 05, 2023, 10:26:40 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on March 05, 2023, 02:31:37 PM

Nice

I will use the new Airfix kit as a guide for the hole then.

Forgot to say yesterday, a blood sacrifice has been given to the modelling gods as I was stupid and attempted to make a cut while holding things the wrong way around. My blade slipped and I had a cut on the top of my little finger which bled a little. No real problem, just a slightly awkward place for a cut.

Gondor
Speaking as a person whos covered in cuts and stitches...Al is there any place where a cut is good ?  :lol:  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 05, 2023, 11:28:54 PMSpeaking as a person whos covered in cuts and stitches...Al is there any place where a cut is good ?  :lol:  ;D

Yes, between the Sprue/Runner and the part you need  ;D

Wardukw

Quote from: Gondor on March 06, 2023, 01:50:37 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 05, 2023, 11:28:54 PMSpeaking as a person whos covered in cuts and stitches...Al is there any place where a cut is good ?  :lol:  ;D

Yes, between the Sprue/Runner and the part you need  ;D
Hahaha yup I'll go with that  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Proof of progress

I know it dosent look like much, and truthfully the picture doesn't show much, but it is progress.

Gondor

Wardukw

Something is better than nothing Alistair and do love a good Meteor matey  ;D

Gondor

There was concern about the cockpit opening with the Aeroclub conversion set so I dug out one of the part built MPM/Special Hobby et al Meteor F.8's I started last year as a comparison.

There are differences between the two with the Aeroclub decking being a bit more indistinct than I would have liked, but there is the basis for a reasonable cockpit opening to be made.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

To be fair to John Adams, the conversion is a limited run circa 1987. It's vastly superior to some resin ones released more recently.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 17, 2023, 12:51:14 PMTo be fair to John Adams, the conversion is a limited run circa 1987. It's vastly superior to some resin ones released more recently.

I agree. A Garage kit against a short run kit and it is close. As you say Lee, vastly superior to some resin stuff that you keep going on about  :rolleyes:

Gondor