F-15 Sprint Eagle

Started by Firefox, January 01, 2023, 11:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefox

I must admit I did not intend to make this a what-if models. But if you have made a Hasegawa 1/72 F-15 that came out around 90's, you'd probably know that it's a little bit over engineered, especially the exhaust nozzles. Despite my  best efforts, the nozzles did not come out round (one nozzle is made out off five parts that you can barely glued together, let alone making it round, at least not with my skill  ;D ). Needless to say, I consigned them to bin after a few tries. And I have a few extra F-16 nozzles sitting there, but the diameter of the nozzles are much bigger that the F-15. Hence, the beginning of this whiffy: What it F-15 is using two F-16 engines?

Completed model is on page 2

The first few steps is to 'enlarge' the engine bay areas

Applied some miliput and quite some sanding:

AeroplaneDriver

Not to denigrate your build in any way, because it is looking great...but the F-15 DOES have 2x F-16 engines. They both use the P&W F100-200 series. Different kits with varying accuracy would be my guess for the discrepancy.

But never mind,  great looking conversion no matter what the engine is!!!   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

That's subtle and looks very cool!  :thumbsup:  IMHO the model could have deserved thinner/more strongly swept wings witn this upgrade?

Old Wombat

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 01, 2023, 11:54:03 PMNot to denigrate your build in any way, because it is looking great...but the F-15 DOES have 2x F-16 engines. They both use the P&W F100-200 series. Different kits with varying accuracy would be my guess for the discrepancy.

He's right, you know! ;)

Still, this should be fun! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Firefox

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 01, 2023, 11:54:03 PMNot to denigrate your build in any way, because it is looking great...but the F-15 DOES have 2x F-16 engines. They both use the P&W F100-200 series. Different kits with varying accuracy would be my guess for the discrepancy.

But never mind,  great looking conversion no matter what the engine is!!!   :thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing this out  ;D  I didn't know they are the same. Good to know. The larger diameter of the F-16 nozzle is probably because of the requirement of the aerodynamic design then.

Firefox

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 02, 2023, 12:12:52 AMThat's subtle and looks very cool!  :thumbsup:  IMHO the model could have deserved thinner/more strongly swept wings witn this upgrade?

If I intended to build it as what-if, I'd probably go down that path you said. I came across F-15U over the internet, it seems like having the swept wing you mentioned.

McColm

You can always add a pair of canards and turn it into a STOL version.

zenrat

This will be the 1988 new mould.  It looks to be an improvement over the '74 mould.
I looked up 1/72 Hasegawa F-15 Eagle on Scalemates.  I can't believe how many different releases there are.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Firefox

Quote from: McColm on January 02, 2023, 02:05:24 AMYou can always add a pair of canards and turn it into a STOL version.

I've done that a while ago  ;)

I'd probably stick to the minimum with this one since it began as a real world build.

Firefox

Quote from: zenrat on January 02, 2023, 03:01:43 AMThis will be the 1988 new mould.  It looks to be an improvement over the '74 mould.
I looked up 1/72 Hasegawa F-15 Eagle on Scalemates.  I can't believe how many different releases there are.

Yes, there are so many releases even with the new mold  :o One of the more if not the most memorable is the F-15 SMTD. Couldn't believe Hasegawa actually made one.

kerick

If you are using the Hasegawa F-16 nozzles they are oversize. They are too big for an F-14D also.

But now that you are putting in much larger engines on your F-15 will you be enlarging the intakes for all that increased air flow?

I know, I'm not helping....... ;D

But the swept wings sound cool.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

What about a pair of F-14 wings instead?

Wardukw

This works right rather well ..take a big arse figther and fit even bigger engines and that's a recipe for good times 👹😁
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Mossie

Quote from: Firefox on January 02, 2023, 01:58:52 AM

But never mind,  great looking conversion no matter what the engine is!!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing this out  ;D  I didn't know they are the same. Good to know. The larger diameter of the F-16 nozzle is probably because of the requirement of the aerodynamic design then.

Depends on the F-16 kit.  Later Falcons (not all of them) use the GE F-110, had about 4000lb more thrust. Might be useful for your build.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Firefox

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 02, 2023, 11:05:21 AMThis works right rather well ..take a big arse figther and fit even bigger engines and that's a recipe for good times 👹😁

that's the idea  :wacko: