British Rail Starship, don't laugh there was a patent for this!

Started by McColm, December 11, 2020, 02:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Apparently British Rail did file a patent for a flying saucer and there are several videos on YouTube about this subject. I'm not too sure if they thought that the railways would be obsolete when the Starship entered service but the original purpose was a heavy lifting crane which kept getting bits added on the design.
It was supposed to be powered by a nuclear reactor,  the Americans and the Russians were interested in fitting a nuclear reactor in aircraft. The Russians actually did this but the crew suffered from radiation sickness.
Well if they work in submarines then a Starship shouldn't be a problem,  of course health and safety would be a major hurdle to overcome but if British Rail managed to overcome all the technical difficulties, I wonder what it would have looked like?
Would the passenger seats revolve like the restaurant at the Post Office Tower or look like something from Star Trek? Or something Thunderbirds had a go at?
Maybe Kit would know?

PR19_Kit

Oh goodness, not Charles Fredericks' brain storms AGAIN!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

He was the Assistant Director of Research, but unfortunately he must have missed the bit about 'R ailways' in his title................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 11, 2020, 02:27:40 PM
Oh goodness, not Charles Fredericks' brain storms AGAIN!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

He was the Assistant Director of Research, but unfortunately he must have missed the bit about 'R ailways' in his title................

Take that as a yes, He knows......................................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

jcf

He didn't want to miss out on the burgeoning galactic market.  ;D

tigercat

It was the only way British Rails catering could be described as out of this world

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Almost every time I mention that I worked for BR R&D Division in the 70s people say 'Oh, did you have anything to do with the nuclear powered Flying Saucer?'

AAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

For the record, the answer's NO!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

tigercat

:wacko: You would say that , official secrets act and all that  :angel:

zenrat

Yeah Kit.  You can tell us the truth.  It won't go any further.  Promise.   :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 12, 2020, 03:19:56 AM
Almost every time I mention that I worked for BR R&D Division in the 70s people say 'Oh, did you have anything to do with the nuclear powered Flying Saucer?'

AAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

For the record, the answer's NO!

Not to 'pile on', but is that why you never whiffed up a model or 'artist's impression? of one?  I can't even imagine - yet! - how it'd look ... not like a conventional train, I'm thinking ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

There's a 'drawing' of it in Charles Fredericks' patent application IIRC.

Regards
Kit

tigercat

It's probably tucked away alongside the Strategic Steam Reserve in some abandoned WW2 base somewhere

Shhhhh

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

bluedonkey99

it makes sense.  In the 30s didnt the rail companies have an air service?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Air_Services

I could see the flying saucers doing the same, except fly from Alphe Centuri to London Gatwick Space and Rail portal at light speed then take 90mins to go the 50miles to Littlehampton...

McColm

Although not a Rail Air Service,  Waterloo Station did have a heliport for BAE to and from London Heathrow Airport during the 1950s. It was discounted once the rail service was introduced.