Handley Page HP-42 in 1/72

Started by TomZ, October 26, 2020, 12:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

First time I'm trying to do a full build report here. Don't expect to see this finished anytime soon though. It will be at least spring next year before I can use my airbrush again as my spraying booth is in the shed and it's much too cold and damp at the moment.

I got this one from ebay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handley-Page-HP-42W-3D-fabricated-1-72-kit-Free-shipping/114449581563?hash=item1aa5ba05fb:g:qPwAAOSwWzddGgOd after someone posted an item about the Saro Princess they also do in 1/72.
They also do a HP-42 in 1/48 but this one is large enough for me  ;).

I've always thought the HP-42 was a fascinating aircraft and built the 1/144 Airfix one years ago. This one is completely 3D printed in what looks to be polystyrene and the parts look good. A lot of fine detail, some flash here and there. Some clean-up is required here and there.

The larger parts are free from any spruces and the smaller ones or printed on some kind of sheet which holds them together. I started on the cabin interior and that all went together nicely.

I did some tests with my usual Humbrol and Revell enamal paints and it looks like the parts can be painted without any priming, unlike the 3D printed stuff you get from Shapeways.

The windows are provided as sheet plastic and I'm rather dreading how that will go. The markings are vinyl stickers and I'm not sure if that will go down well on that corrugated fuselage.

To be continued...

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Dizzyfugu

That's looking very good for a 3D print!

IIRC, there is a whiffy option in literature of a lost H.P. 42 in two "Yoko Tsuno" comics; not flashy, though:

At least for the side windows, Humbrol's ClearFix could be an alternative, even though the openings could already be a little too large for the stuff.

zenrat

Interesting.

Can you glue the parts with normal model glue?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Goodness gracious, what a MONSTER that's going to be!

Most impressive and I'll be watching with great interest.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on October 26, 2020, 03:30:00 AM
Interesting.

Can you glue the parts with normal model glue?

In some other ebay ads, the seller specifies it's ABS, so normal plastic glue won't give a strong enough bond. I hope Tom has some specific glue for it.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TomZ

I've put the cabin interior together using CA glue. That works OK it seems.
Will do a test with normal polystyrene glue.

TomZ

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 26, 2020, 01:49:53 AM
That's looking very good for a 3D print!

It is indeed Dizzy.

I've always had a bit of a thing for the HP 42. I think it's because all of the photos and posters I've seen of it standing in front of the old Croydon airport building.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Just did a test with normal glue on two pieces of scrap.
Looks like it works quite well.

TomZ

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 26, 2020, 07:33:15 AM
I've always had a bit of a thing for the HP 42.

As have I. What always does it for me is that forward fuselage, so streamlined and 'modern' for its time, anachronistic against the rest of the maze of struts and wires. Ditto for the Curtis Condor.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

stevehed

Looking forward to this one. Should be one big bird. Years ago I wondered about using the Airfix 1/144 as the basis for a whif bomber but could never get one. Silly money springs to mind.

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

1/48 Princess?  :o

That'd be about 4.5 FEET wingspan!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I was very tempted with an Andover  kit until I saw where it was coming from.  The import tax  will be a bit nasty  on one i dare say. What was the tax mand cut like on your  HP 42 Tom?
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TomZ

Quote from: chrisonord on October 26, 2020, 11:14:08 AM
I was very tempted with an Andover  kit until I saw where it was coming from.  The import tax  will be a bit nasty  on one i dare say. What was the tax mand cut like on your  HP 42 Tom?

I was lucky and the package went through without being intercepted.
In Holland they tend to focus on some larger well-known web shops and this kind of "private" packages tend to slip through.
My purchases from Hobby Link Japan ALWAYS got caught and I stopped buying from them but my eBay purchases mostly get through.

TomZ

chrisonord

Hmm, interesting.  I wonder if I could be so lucky with our blood sucking customs in the UK. I am very tempted with the Andover though.  Although I  am  also tempted to  get an IL -14 and put some  western engines on it  and an RAF  disguise. Decisions decisions.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!