Harrier winter camouflage scheme

Started by chrisonord, August 27, 2020, 02:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have been looking at winter camouflage schemes for  my Harrier  FAW- 2 and have seen  two distinct  colour variations white being the main  one and some  are either grey with odd bits of  green and I have seen some  which  look white with green.  My build will be in service around  1978 as it will be fitted with  early  issue  skyflash missiles, would  either scheme  work  or was the different  colours  used during different  time periods.  Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

On RAF aircraft, the standard wraparound scheme in Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey was simply overpainted with temporary whitewash, and there was AFAIK no rule. I have seen Harriers with the grey overpainted, but also with the green painted out (Actually, Airfix did this version as color option on one of the GR.3 kits, IIRC). There were also schemes outside of this basic pattern, I remember Jaguars (operated in Norway for training) that had a kind of white net applied, so that the grey/green underneath looked thorugh in a giraffe-esque scheme:

Anything goes - be creative! The whitewash finish itself is more challenging.  ;)

Mossie

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 28, 2020, 12:08:10 AM
On RAF aircraft, the standard wraparound scheme in Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey was simply overpainted with temporary whitewash, and there was AFAIK no rule.

There was, however it was often abandoned (I'm assuming deliberately for R&D).  Can't remember where I read it, but I believe the rules said for the green to be painted over leaving the grey showing.  The washable paint was known as ARTF (alkali removable temporary finish) and was the same kind as used on Gulf War desert pink aircraft.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Thankyou for your input  guys  much appreciated.  That mottled  winter jaguar  looks smart  I have never seen that  before.  Thanks for those  pictures  Dizzy  :thumbsup:
Chris

zenrat

The arctic giraffe scheme is very attractive and tempting to me.
I'm almost tempted to do a RW Jag.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Also found this interesting alternative for the late NATO Green/Lichen Green livery (again, Norway), very small, though:

Similar patterns have also been appllied to the even later all-grey Harriers.

chrisonord

Excellent stuff Thomas, now I have to decide whether I paint over the white with grey or green, as both colours look good with the white. Looking at some of the harriers has made me realise that I didn't have to make such a good job of coverage with the White paint :thumbsup:
Chris

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Cheers Mossie, I will have a trawl through those later on :thumbsup:
Chris