Winter/arctic markings & colours (was Let It Snow thread)

Started by Mossie, February 16, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Tis the season to get frostbite (unless your in Aus at the mo)!  With Lancer pinning me down & Nev pushing my arm up my back, I'd thought I'd get a proposal for a winter camouflage GB in.

The idea is to take any subject & paint it up so it looks at home in a snow covered environment.  This can be aircraft, tanks, figures, ships, even sci-fi.  Pretty much all genres can be included & diorama's are particularly welcome.

Snow camouflage come in many forms.  In it's most basic form the subject is simply made white, although often the white is covered over an existing scheme.  Disruption styles are quite common, because of the way snow settles.  Temporary finishes are often applied that weather heavily showing the undersurfaces to some degree.  Adding a splash of white to a boring scheme can make it quite attractive & weathering it can catch the eye too.

It doesn't have to be camouflage.  Take a subject in a more standard paint job & drizzle some snow over the top, or put it in a snowy diorama.  Ships, vehicles & aircraft in arctic/antarctic ops are often painted up in high-vis, so go crazy with the colour!  The restrictions are that it must be obviously suited to snow conditions, either as part of it's fit, paint scheme or weathering.

So, what do you think? :thumbsup:

Simon.

EDIT, I've decided to open it up so people can use hi-vis antarctic schemes or standard schemes in a snow environment.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Obligatory inspiration, please feel free to add your own!

F-16 in 'Arctic Aggressor' scheme:

A-10 during exercise Cool Snow Hog, the light green portion of Euro I was replaced with white:

Us Brits go fairly big for snow camo, despite the fact we don't get a lot.  It tends to be trialled on exercises in Norway.  Here some Harrier GR.7's line up for the camera:

Earlier 70's/80's version with the white over part of the wraparound.  The regulations said the white should be painted over the green, although both could be seen.  Jaguars tended to have it over the grey.

Jag trial scheme, allover white.

Another Jag trial scheme, the base camo is left showing through in splotches.  I've seen at least one other RAF trial, where the white was painted in stripes between the grey & green

Mi-28 from a video game:

Royal Navy Sea King as part of SFOR in Bosnia, with white tiger stripe pattern over the green base.

Stuka with the white painted in a disruption style.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I'm not that clued up on tanks, so if any one has any better pics please post!

Tanks (someone else will have to identify them!) with a multiple pattern painted over the base.

A tank with a white distemper, the paint either weathered or deliberately showing through.

Mossie

Finnish soldiers, with grey fleck patterned battle dress:

German Special Forces with simple white coveralls over the standard uniform.  Note the webbing in the normal camouflage to reflect the partial snow cover.

Ghillie suit for a sniper.

French Paratrooper in a tufted suit with tent:

Don't think these guys need any introduction!

Mossie

A bit of inspiration from nature:

Ptarmigan winter coat, they're brown in the summer months.

Snowy Owl

Snow Leopard

Taiidantomcat

The Sea King and Ghillie suits rock!!  :wub: These are great pics Mossie i would be up for this GB!  :cheers: Love the Snowtroopers as well.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Thought you might be!

Some earlier versions of the Snow Trooper.

Cold Assault Clone Trooper in Phase I armour (Episode II)

Cold Assault Clone Trooper in Phase II armour (Episode III)

nev

About time you got round to this!  I am, of course, up for it.  And here is some more inspiration :)  JGSDF Type 90 in winter camo :wub:

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Maverick

Simon,

To help out the two 'tanks' are in fact both Soviet WW2 era SPGs.  The first is an SU-76 whilst the other an SU-122.  The German spec forces uniforms are the issue for their Gebirgsjagers and have green 'fir' splotches over the base white.  I've also done a swathe of 'winter' schemed profiles most of which are in my Gallery (excepting the Finnish & Baltic examples).

Regards,

Mav

Mossie

Thanks for the info John!  Feel free to post a handful of your profiles here.

gunfighter

Mossie

Great stuff!  Looking forward to see what people come up with.

Adapt a vehicle to snow conditions:

Mossie

Ships

USS DeKalb, painted up for operations in an ocean ice field

Landing craft in disruption camouflage

Icebreakers would be useful for a continued arctic/antarctic campaign

Mossie

I thought it might be a good idea to open this up to winter/snowy conditions in general.  So take a subject in a more standard paint job & drizzle some snow over the top, or put it in a snowy diorama.  Ships, vehicles & aircraft in arctic/antarctic ops are often painted up in high-vis, so go crazy with the colour!  The restrictions are that it must be obviously suited to snow conditions, either as part of it's fit, paint scheme or weathering.

High-vis schemes:

USAF LC-130H assigned to Antarctic ops for the National Science Foundation, dayglo portions on the airframe

S-55 from the Canadian Army Topographic Survey Corps

British Antarctic Survey Twotter in a smart black/orange scheme

Oh, sh!t....  British Trans Antarctic Expedition snow track

Haaglunds Bv-106 in antarctic search & rescue scheme

HMS Endurance, with Lynx HAS.3(ICE) also in a high viz scheme