In service TSR 2

Started by Devilfish, July 23, 2020, 10:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

Had the TSR 2 not been cancelled in 1965, there were several changes that needed to be made to it, before it entered service. These are all documented changes, and i have tried to incorporate them into this kit to make it as "in service" accurate as I can

Starting from the front, these are the mods I have done to the kit

The pitot was to have a "bulb" on it much like the later Jaguar.  To that end I have fitted a brass Jaguar item.

A retractable bolt on refuelling probe was to be fitted to the left hand side (scratch built)

The optics of the canopies was not good enough, but no development was done on this, so I have just removed the gold tint, which was a heating element.

The instrument panels were scratch built to make them more accurate, and a HUD was fitted.  The original plan was for a HUD projecting on the front screen, but they couldn't get that to work, so an American system was to be fitted.

I have fitted resin insides to the canopies

The 3 strike camera positions were opened up and glazed.

The extendable nose leg was found to be unnecessary, so was to be deleted. I removed the extra link from the leg.

Metal undercarriage was fitted

The forward fuselage to wing "hump" was reduced and the extra vents added (restored?)

The intake aux air doors weren't good enough, so a new method was devised, where the whole front edge slid forward to allow more air in.  Intakes modified to match drawings.

The long range fuel tank was scratch built from 2 off a Boston bomber

Master Caster Blue Water missiles fitted to modified F-15 pylons

Outer pylons made from modified and inverted F-35 pylons, with home made "rapid blooming windows" pods

Brake likes were added to the main legs.

The wing tip fuel dumps were thinned down as they were way too thick.

The airbrakes were to be vented, like those on the Jaguar. The kit items were drilled out

The screw jacks, used to open the airbrakes was to be replaced with a "normal" hydraulic system.  Lower airbrakes drooped to represent this system at rest.

A one shot arrestor hook was to be added. One found in the spares.

Under fuselage strakes were talked about to help stability.  Modified F-8 strakes fitted

The kit's upper fuselage vents were replaced with resin items.

An intake was added to the fin.

P/E access ladders fitted (modified to a simpler design, for in service use)

Enough reading...on with the photos.

DSC_0240 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0245 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0259 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0256 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0255 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0243 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0242 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0251 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DSC_0250 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Hobbes

That looks great, and your list of mods will be a handy reference  :thumbsup:

Cobra

Superb Build :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: why do i picture a Scramble Klaxxon going off & a Controller Calling out,"All Crew man Your Planes,Scramble,Scramble!!"? Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Gondor

Is that the 1/48 scale kit?

Nicely finished by the way  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

Marvellous stuff  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

That's a tremendous piece of work  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Old Wombat

I have no idea if the TSR 2 would have been as good as its proponents state, if it had entered service, but it really is a nice looking aircraft! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

What are the large missiles on it please?
Chris

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Glenn Gilbertson

Excellent work - & thanks for the details. :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Quote from: chrisonord on July 24, 2020, 09:27:29 AM
What are the large missiles on it please?
Chris

Those are Blue Water. A tactical nuclear air-to-ground missile. Proposed range was about 60 miles/100 km. A ground-launched version was also envisioned. Neither got off the drawing board.

chrisonord

Cheers  Hobbes, they look like  something that would be  good  on one or two of my builds, perhaps mounted on  phantom  or Canberra.  Are they scratch built?
Chris