P-47 wing swap

Started by Snowtrooper, January 24, 2020, 01:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowtrooper

I've had an idea of a project or two, which involves a swap of wings on a pair of P-47's. Specifically, swap P-47N wings to a Razorback P-47D. As this would leave me with a N fuse and D wings, well, something might come out of that too.

What 1/72 scale kits would allow me to get away with minimal surgery regarding the wing transplant? I guess for N the choice is Italeri (Heller with its mass of rivets might be a second option, but for a silly whiff butchering a Sword multimedia kit is a bit too radical), but which razorback D would it interface best with? There's at least the ancient Airfix, Frog, Hasegawa, and Matchbox offerings, and a "new-ish" tool from Academy (compared to the others, that is). Hobby Boss Easy Assembly would require major surgery as the wing and lower fuse are one piece. Scalemates lists Tamiya as a new kit even though I didn't know they had any "original" 72 scale models.

zenrat

I have both Razorback and Bubble top Hasegawa Jugs (1974 moulds) in the stash.  I'll have a fiddle tomorrow and report back.

I must admit I wasn't aware they had different wings.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Snowtrooper

Quote from: zenrat on January 24, 2020, 01:52:30 AM
I have both Razorback and Bubble top Hasegawa Jugs (1974 moulds) in the stash.  I'll have a fiddle tomorrow and report back.

P-47D razorback and bubbletop have identical wings. P-47N had a different wing with integral fuel tanks and square wingtips (which were not simply cut off D wings).

zenrat

Quote from: Snowtrooper on January 24, 2020, 02:12:27 AM

P-47D razorback and bubbletop have identical wings. P-47N had a different wing with integral fuel tanks and square wingtips (which were not simply cut off D wings).

Ah, OK.   :banghead:  So not much point me fiddling with parts then,

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

You might also try not to simply switch the wings at their roots, but transplant the whole fuselage section, together with the wings. This might be easier (since the fuselage shapes should be very similar) than trying to mount wings on attachment points that were not designed to take the parts. I made a similar transplant a while ago when I mated the Heller N wings with the fuselage of an MPM J.

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 24, 2020, 02:36:55 AM
You might also try not to simply switch the wings at their roots, but transplant the whole fuselage section, together with the wings. This might be easier (since the fuselage shapes should be very similar) than trying to mount wings on attachment points that were not designed to take the parts. I made a similar transplant a while ago when I mated the Heller N wings with the fuselage of an MPM J.
Thanks for the tip, might do this instead. That should make any Razorback (including the Hobby Boss one) eligible for the conversion :thumbsup: Should have thought of this in the first place since both ideas would require fuselage surgery anyway...

For those interested, the D with N wings would be a civilian passenger (!) conversion. The idea started forming when I was (again) wondering the sheer size of the Jug and started pondering just how much extra space there would be in the rear fuse if you removed the massive turbo and associated piping, and installed a R-2800 engine with a simple mechanical supercharger instead. The N wing transplant idea came to my mind when thinking of how to maximize the range. There would be a convoluted backstory only possible in the whiffverse on how and why the "Thunderbus" came to be.

For the leftovers, the plan would be to make a Reno Racer out of those, with surgery-extended cowling sufficient to fit Wasp Major in the backstory (in 3D form, I would simply hide the engine with a massive spinner to avoid using a resin part), larger air intake in the style of XP-47H (maybe having an underfuse "exhaust" for the radiators P-51 style too), severely chopped wings (I know, HERESY!), and any other suitable modifications to make it look "fast".

scooter

Quote from: Snowtrooper on January 24, 2020, 04:52:34 AM

For those interested, the D with N wings would be a civilian passenger (!) conversion. The idea started forming when I was (again) wondering the sheer size of the Jug and started pondering just how much extra space there would be in the rear fuse if you removed the massive turbo and associated piping, and installed a R-2800 engine with a simple mechanical supercharger instead. The N wing transplant idea came to my mind when thinking of how to maximize the range. There would be a convoluted backstory only possible in the whiffverse on how and why the "Thunderbus" came to be.

Might make an interesting variation on the A-1E
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on January 24, 2020, 02:28:05 AM
Quote from: Snowtrooper on January 24, 2020, 02:12:27 AM

Ah, OK.   :banghead:  So not much point me fiddling with parts then,

The 'N' wing is also longer, it was lengthened at the wing root end of the wing, not the wing tips.  I happen to have bits on hand so here's a photo of a D wing and a N wing. Republic added a plug to the wing root end which is where the integral wing tanks went, everything else was just moved outward along with the reprofiling of the wing shape.

The N wing would make sense for a long range civilian version, all the space where the guns and ammo storage area are can be converted to have integral tanks in them too.

The undercarriage of the P-47 had a mechanical leg length reducing setup because the u/c leg had to be shorter once retracted into the wheel bay, the N had to have this modified as the u/c leg had to be made a bit longer when it was extended, this is because the wing dyhedral remained the same on both versions.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

I didn't know they were different either ! Something new everyday....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Hmmmm.....
How about the power of the jug and the scaled up wings of a Mustang? Or would that be a Skyraider?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Scotaidh

Quote from: kerick on January 24, 2020, 06:44:31 PM
Hmmmm.....
How about the power of the jug and the scaled up wings of a Mustang? Or would that be a Skyraider?

or a Bearcat?  or a Typhoon/Tempest?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 24, 2020, 06:39:44 PM
I didn't know they were different either ! Something new everyday....

I knew the wing shape was different, but not that it was longer, nor the different undercarriage leg length.

Interesting, time to dig that Sword kit out I think ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

How about an N wing with D wingtips added so it was D shape.  That should really confuse them...
Fred

kitnut617

Quote from: kerick on January 24, 2020, 06:44:31 PM
Hmmmm.....

Um! XP-72 maybe ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: Snowtrooper on January 24, 2020, 04:52:34 AM
The idea started forming when I was (again) wondering the sheer size of the Jug and started pondering just how much extra space there would be in the rear fuse if you removed the massive turbo and associated piping, and installed a R-2800 engine with a simple mechanical supercharger instead.

All R-2800 engines had an integral mechanical supercharger, the turbo-supercharger on the P-47
functioned as the auxiliary supercharger of a two-stage system. The aux blower on other aircraft,
F4U, F6F etc., was mechanical.