A whif of a less belligerent nature - Skyraider Sky Cab; Finished pics page 9.

Started by zenrat, September 10, 2019, 03:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

In response to Maxmwill's desire for less belligerency I am adding to Frankston Sky Cabs' fleet.
Skyraider Sky Cab 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Skyraider Sky Cab 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Passenger capacity will be seven.  Six on bench seats in the back and one riding shotgun.  Access via a door on the port side aft of the trailing edge.  Luggage stowage in the rear fuselage.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Looking forward to this. Have a similar idea (bush plane, including some radical changes) on my project list, too.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

The cockpit is horrible on this.  In the second pic it is sat in place correctly but look at that huge step between the top of the tub and the coaming - awful.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

loupgarou

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 10, 2019, 05:57:09 AM
Looking forward to this. Have a similar idea (bush plane, including some radical changes) on my project list, too.  :thumbsup:

Fixed landing gear, with spats?  :wub:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

Looks like the old 1/72nd scale antique kit. I have one from a very long time ago I'm considering stripping down and putting it on floats. This is great inspiration!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

I always liked that kit, I've still got an unbuilt one somewhere too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

I've built it as well, and it is pretty ancient and gappy.

So...floats or spats?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on September 10, 2019, 06:21:41 AM
The cockpit is horrible on this.  In the second pic it is sat in place correctly but look at that huge step between the top of the tub and the coaming - awful.

There was a very nice resin cockpit set on the market made by Cobra Company, got two of them for the pair of AD-5s I have. Now part of Lone Star Models but OOP at the moment but might be available on eBay (not looked myself though)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Great minds an all that kinda stuff.  :thumbsup:
I've had the old Matchbox 1/48 A-1E set aside for a similar build
inspired by the A-17A based Douglas DT-202.

zenrat

Quote from: chrisonord on September 10, 2019, 07:20:37 AM
What scale is it Fred?

If you have to ask then I must be slipping.
It's the ONE TRUE SCALE of course.  1/72.
;D

DT 202 looks great Jon.  I think i might start from a different point through.  Like a Northrop Nomad.

Kit, a resin cockpit would be nice but i've already started to butcher modify the kit one and will scratch up some filler pieces and add greebles.
As it comes there is a huge gap between the top of the rear of the cockpit tub and the fuselage.  Its almost like they cam from different kits.  Last time I saw such poor parts fit was the AMT '70 Super Bee which mated an AMT chassis to an MPC body and had you saw part of the windscreen off to get it them to fit.  Or the MPM 1/72 Me 262 which has you cut part of the wing centre section off (and gives you incorrect measurements in the instructions).

Quote from: scooter on September 10, 2019, 12:24:27 PM

So...floats or spats?

Skyraiders are pretty heavy and need some serious floatage to keep them above water (see here for an example which I now think doesn't have enough) and I do have a set of Stuka undercarriage somewhere.  However, this one may keep its usual legs.
We'll see.
Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

Quote from: zenrat on September 11, 2019, 02:07:12 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on September 10, 2019, 07:20:37 AM
What scale is it Fred?

If you have to ask then I must be slipping.
It's the ONE TRUE SCALE of course.  1/72.
;D

DT 202 looks great Jon.  I think i might start from a different point through.  Like a Northrop Nomad.

Kit, a resin cockpit would be nice but i've already started to butcher modify the kit one and will scratch up some filler pieces and add greebles.
As it comes there is a huge gap between the top of the rear of the cockpit tub and the fuselage.  Its almost like they cam from different kits.  Last time I saw such poor parts fit was the AMT '70 Super Bee which mated an AMT chassis to an MPC body and had you saw part of the windscreen off to get it them to fit.  Or the MPM 1/72 Me 262 which has you cut part of the wing centre section off (and gives you incorrect measurements in the instructions).

Quote from: scooter on September 10, 2019, 12:24:27 PM

So...floats or spats?

Skyraiders are pretty heavy and need some serious floatage to keep them above water (see here for an example which I now think doesn't have enough) and I do have a set of Stuka undercarriage somewhere.  However, this one may keep its usual legs.
We'll see.
Marvellous,  I  have  done  a revell  version of this,  and have another in the stash. I like  them.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

jcf

A-17 = Nomad = Northrop Model 8.
The Northrop Corporation that made the Nomad was a division of Douglas and the
Model 8 design became the Douglas 8A after the Northrop division was closed and
reformed as the El Segundo Division of Douglas Aircraft in 1937.
Thus the later derivate concepts of the Model 8 received Douglas designations,
DT = Douglas Transport.

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 11, 2019, 09:31:10 AM

A-17 = Nomad = Northrop Model 8.
The Northrop Corporation that made the Nomad was a division of Douglas and the
Model 8 design became the Douglas 8A after the Northrop division was closed and
reformed as the El Segundo Division of Douglas Aircraft in 1937.
Thus the later derivate concepts of the Model 8 received Douglas designations,
DT = Douglas Transport.

Which explains why the Nomad looks like such a good place to start from if building a DT 202.

Some work on the cockpit tub and interior.  I'm not going to go mad but it needed something more than Hasegawa supplied.  OH&S regulations mean the staircase will have to get a handrail.
Skyraider Sky Cab WIP 12-09-2019 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 11, 2019, 07:40:29 AM
Gads! Love the camo on that floaty Spad! :wub:
Thanks.  That's the PDRV Archipelago scheme.  I used the colours I can see looking down on Port Philip Bay on a sunny summer day.  It's meant to look like vegetation, beach, surf, shallow water and deep water.
Fred