Hawker/Nord Griffon

Started by chrisonord, September 09, 2019, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Here's a couple  of pictures  of a kit I  started  building  over  10 years  ago....I  think.  It languished in  the graveyard  for a very  long time  as the engine faces fell out,  and the canopy  scared me. For  the last couple  of months  I  have  been  scouring  the bits boxes  for  its parts, and  tackled the  vacform canopy,  which  is not  as good as it could have been  if someone else  cut it out. With help from Gondor, I  sourced a  pair of as 511's  and found a  centre line  fuel tank that looked  suitably  super sonic  capable.  The aircraft  is an alternative  history  Nord Griffon,  where Nord partnered with  Hawker and Rolls Royce  to make  their  ramjet fighter a  reality using a bery big and powerful  turbojet from Rolls Royce. The aircraft depicted,  is during the  late 50's  and is a test aircraft  that will be armed with different  weapons to see what  works  best basically.  The aircraft  is one of four testbeds, and is in RAF markings,  but will be testing a French  designed  air to air missile.
The model took me a while to get it looking something similar  as I  struggle  with painting and  decals.  I will put some  more pictures  up and a  more in depth backstory  when  I  can, as I  have  a couple  of other  things  awaiting  finishing.
Chris.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WME2t1YjAAsx7syKA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Koq9AUmTwRRTtUGk9
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

rickshaw

That looks interesting.  How did you make it?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

63cpe

It's looking great! I wonder hoe you made it and from what parts.

David aka 63cpe

Dizzyfugu

I recognize an F-16 fin and nozzle. Wings looks Mirage III-ish, but I am not certain.

Looks very good!

Gondor

Looks nice, hope we get to see some more pictures of it from different angles etc.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

Quote from: Gondor on September 10, 2019, 03:01:11 AM
Looks nice, hope we get to see some more pictures of it from different angles etc.

Gondor
Thanks for the comments  everyone,  I  will be limiting  what angles it can be seen from  as you can see right through  it thanks to the engine  faces falling  out.  They were both resin, and decided  to un stick themselves. Dizzy is correct in  spotting an f16 tail fin, as it was originally  going  to represent  something  a lot more modern. I had to make new canards for it too and replace the front  landing gear. The kit is quite  crude to be honest,  and from what I can remember  of when I  first tackled it,  was quite  badly fitting. The wings are the kit ones by the way Dizzy.
Chris

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 10, 2019, 06:12:23 AM
Looks good Chris  :thumbsup:
Cheers  Chris,
I am reasonably happy with  it as I  have to come  to terms with  the fact my fingers won't get any better.  It looks  like one at least.
Chris.

kerick

Looks the part of a design from the 50s. I say keep it coming!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Scotaidh

Quote from: chrisonord on September 10, 2019, 03:25:40 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 10, 2019, 03:01:11 AM

Gondor
Thanks for the comments  everyone,  I  will be limiting  what angles it can be seen from  as you can see right through  it thanks to the engine  faces falling  out.  They were both resin, and decided  to un stick themselves. Dizzy is correct in  spotting an f16 tail fin, as it was originally  going  to represent  something  a lot more modern. I had to make new canards for it too and replace the front  landing gear. The kit is quite  crude to be honest,  and from what I can remember  of when I  first tackled it,  was quite  badly fitting. The wings are the kit ones by the way Dizzy.
Chris

I think it looks great.  If you have some black foam rubber, you could fill the void.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

chrisonord

That's a good idea  that,  I have some  somewhere I can use.  :thumbsup:
Chris

Tophe

Congratulations! ramjet models are very rare...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

chrisonord

Quote from: Tophe on September 11, 2019, 09:41:16 AM
Congratulations! ramjet models are very rare...
Thankyou Tophe,
This is a very French aircraft  made by a French  model company,  one nthat is quite rare to get hold of too. I  would like  another to build maybe  as a later version  with  newer aam's on it. The matt clear coat  has dried well, and given the  aircraft  the dull metal appearance I  wanted it to have.  I  painted it in dull aluminium, with the airbrush and the matt clear gives it just enough  weathering to the bare metal finish
Chris

chrisonord

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]