Yakovlev Yak-401

Started by 63cpe, August 18, 2019, 03:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

A new and little more complicated project is this Yak-40 kitbash to a single engined (turbo prop) Pilatus PC-12 lookalike. Have had this project planned for a pretty long time but never had the guts to start it. With this GB I hope to finish it. As for GB eligibility: it's an -2 engine project.

Fuselage and tail enpenage are from an 1/100-ish NuBee Yak 40. Engine is from an Airfix Tucano as is the prop and exhausts. Main wings are from a Zvezda "Rochelle" model from the Disney "Planes" series. This wing needs to be a little more forward of the original wing of the Yak. The "Rochelle" wing is also from the snap tite kind and it's roots are kinda hard to graft into the yak's fuselage. Had to remove the original wingroots of the Yak in the process. In the picture I put in a styrene plates. Those will be covered later by putty to close the gaps. Later I did the same with the gaps in the tail where the rear engine of the Yak used to be.

IMG_20190818_154006826 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Next step is to paint the inner fuselage, put in the glazing and cockpit and assemble the fuselage halves. Then put the engine on and the PSR starts.

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

63cpe

Finally some progress after all putty dried...

IMG_20190825_193514586 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20190825_193525990 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20190825_193559892 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

The gaps on the wing were a real pain to get right as the plastic is really soft.
First sanding is done, now still waiting for the putty to cure..lucky the weather is quite hot so curing won't take long but still some days (thick layer of putty)
Prop also needs some reshaping...

David aka 63cpe

jalles

That's looking great! I would have never dreamed that combination would work so well  :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Oh, I like that. But the wings look a little wee?  :o

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 25, 2019, 11:35:31 PM

Oh, I like that. But the wings look a little wee?  :o

Yes, a couple of inches longer would work pretty well......  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thats looking, ummmmmmm, interesting.

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

63cpe

Yeah, the wings were a bit too small. So, took the Dremel and cut about 1,5 cm out off the fuselage between wings and where the engines used to be. Will post pics tomorrow as the tail is curing. Think it's more balanced now.

David aka 63cpe

Dizzyfugu

You could also compensate for the small wings with a Delanne arrangement?

The fuselage comes from a 1:100 VEB Plasticart Yak-40, right?  :o

63cpe

Sitrep:

IMG_20190829_071736128 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20190829_071820535 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20190829_071907553 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20190829_071929016 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

After the fuselage was shortened...
@ Dizzy: yes, this is the 1/100 nu-bee Yak 40

David aka 63cpe

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Good, and it will be probably perfect when completed :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]