1965 Chevrolet El Camino - El Toucam. Finished pics on page 6

Started by zenrat, July 02, 2019, 05:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

The way i see this one is a mild engine up front in the usual position for picking the kids up from school. getting the groceries, driving to work etc and a wild one in the back for having fun, going fast and leaving rubber on the road.
Two engines, each with a clutch and one manual transmission.  Transmission more or less in the usual position with a transfer case between it and the front engine's clutch.  Rear engine, mounted over the rear axle, drive taken by shaft from its clutch to the transmission via the transfer case.
Drive from the transmission to the rear axle by shaft in the conventional way.
To drive on the front engine lock the rear clutch disengaged.  To drive on the rear engine lock the front clutch disengaged.  Two clutch pedals I think.
Each engine will have its own separate fuel and cooling system.
Front engine will be a stock 327ci Small Block Chevy.  Rear engine will be a supercharged 421ci Pontiac.  Transmission  will be a Chrysler A883 four speed manual.  Rear axle will be a Ford 9".
All this will be mounted on a modified '58 Edsel chassis which will carry the 1965 Chevy El Camino shell.

I will be combining parts from the kits below, some resin from www.thepartsbox.com and bits from my parts boxes.

So far I have glued the SBC engine halves and put some filler in the big hole through the sump where the front axle passes (yes, its one of THOSE kits...), lobbed some of the chrome plated Poncho parts into the stripping tank and put filler where the top of the Edsel framerails is moulded open.
The Edsel chassis is one I bought part built which had been glue bombed.  I had to remove the front suspension with sprue cutters so the parts didn't survive and i'll have to build something up from what I can find in my boxes of bits.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

So, you're basically making a Lemons racer  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

loupgarou

What's the BIG engine in the back of the AMT parts boxtop?  :o
Excuse my question: where do you will put kids, groceries etc with one engine front and another back?  ;D

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

JoeP

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on July 02, 2019, 06:42:17 AM

What's the BIG engine in the back of the AMT parts boxtop?  :o

It's an Allison V-1710, AMT put it in one or two kits in that period, as well as in the Parts Packs.

And the funny looking one in front of it with the pale blue block is the Chevrolet Corvair flat six engine, and that could be built with or without the turbocharger, very handy for car modellers.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 02, 2019, 05:07:55 AM

The way i see this one is a mild engine up front in the usual position for picking the kids up from school. getting the groceries, driving to work etc and a wild one in the back for having fun, going fast and leaving rubber on the road.
Two engines, each with a clutch and one manual transmission.  Transmission more or less in the usual position with a transfer case between it and the front engine's clutch.  Rear engine, mounted over the rear axle, drive taken by shaft from its clutch to the transmission via the transfer case.
Drive from the transmission to the rear axle by shaft in the conventional way.
To drive on the front engine lock the rear clutch disengaged.  To drive on the rear engine lock the front clutch disengaged.  Two clutch pedals I think.
Each engine will have its own separate fuel and cooling system.
Front engine will be a stock 327ci Small Block Chevy.  Rear engine will be a supercharged 421ci Pontiac.  Transmission  will be a Chrysler A883 four speed manual.  Rear axle will be a Ford 9".
All this will be mounted on a modified '58 Edsel chassis which will carry the 1965 Chevy El Camino shell.

There's going to be drive shafts EVERYwhere under that model!  :o

Does the Charger supply the transmission? If so I'll take the rest of it off your hands, you don't want something like that cluttering up your workbench, do you?  ;D ;D ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Loupy - the shopping goes in the cab with the driver while the kids can sit in the bed with the second engine.  Kit is correct about the big engine in the AMT kit.  I have a pair of them and a part built tube chassis to mount them in.  I just need to get motivated.

Kit - the Revell '68 boxing shown came with two engines (Hemi & Magnum) and two trannies (auto & manual).  I built it as an automatic Hemi car like this...
Charger Cracks 006 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
...and then when the paint cracked (lacquer over enamel - you can see it in the pic on the roof and bonnet) I stripped it and redid it like this.
68DodgeChargerWreckscued005_zps87273f22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The manual transmission has been sitting in a parts box waiting to be used.

Fred

PR19_Kit

The Charger looks tremendous Fred, in either version.  :thumbsup:

That model's my all time fave American car!  :wub:

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Dude this is nutty as hell, go for it!  ;D :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 03, 2019, 03:33:58 PM
... go for it!  ;D :wub:

Roger that.

Today I did some work on the front engine (sanding, filling, sawed off the gearbox) and moved the parts of the rear engine i'm stripping from the caustic soda (removes chrome) to the brake fluid (removes the lacquer that was under the chrome - caustic soda also does this but brake fluid does it quicker).
Fred

Scotaidh

One of my favourite sci-fi writers (Alan Dean Foster) did a short-story in which a custom-car builder - call him "Gus" 'cos I can't remember - was challenged to a drag race - winner got to keep Gus' soul. 

The car that Gus normally used for racing was described as an early-70s powder-blue Dodge station wagon was a blown & blue-printed 500 hp 426 Hemi that powered the front wheels.  This was what was normally used to power the car around town.

Strictly for racing, displacing the rear seats and cargo area was a 960 shp T53-L-5 turboshaft engine & reduction gears that powered the rear wheels.

For this race, Gus replace the T53-L-5 with a T53-L-11 (1100 shp). 

I don't build cars 'cos I always duff it up, but for those that do - here's a project idea for this GB.  :)

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Quote from: Scotaidh on July 05, 2019, 02:07:40 AM
One of my favourite sci-fi writers (Alan Dean Foster) did a short-story in which a custom-car builder - call him "Gus" 'cos I can't remember - was challenged to a drag race - winner got to keep Gus' soul. 

The car that Gus normally used for racing was described as an early-70s powder-blue Dodge station wagon was a blown & blue-printed 500 hp 426 Hemi that powered the front wheels.  This was what was normally used to power the car around town.

Strictly for racing, displacing the rear seats and cargo area was a 960 shp T53-L-5 turboshaft engine & reduction gears that powered the rear wheels.

For this race, Gus replace the T53-L-5 with a T53-L-11 (1100 shp). 

I don't build cars 'cos I always duff it up, but for those that do - here's a project idea for this GB.  :)

I like it. Should shred tyres nicely.
I don't recollect ever reading about a 426 Hemi in a fwd application but I suppose you could, with an appropriate adaptor mate one up to an Eldorado/Toronado transaxle.
Closest I could build in 1/25 with what I have at hand is a 66 Chevelle Wagon with a Chevy Citation V6 driving the front wheels and a Napier Sabre hooked up to a ZF transaxle in the back.
Coincidentally (there are no coincidences - Robert Anton Wilson) I am currently re-reading Alan Dean Foster's Icerigger prior to reading it's sequel, Mission to Moulokin which I didn't know existed until I recently found it in a second hand bookshop.  And apparently there is a third book to complete a trilogy - The Deluge Drivers.

I sanded the filler on the chassis today.  I used Tamiya polyester putty so it stank.  It'll need another application.

Fred

zenrat

Engine building today.
The front engine is  nearly resdy to have the basic assembly painted while the rear one is out of the stripping tanks and is in the process of being assembled.
I have also started scratching up the transfer box that will link the two engines.
Fred

zenrat

I really should take some snaps.

Both engines have the basic construction done and their blocks painted and I have scratchbuilt a transfer case.
Today I started to fit the engines into the chassis.  Front engine needs the standard Edsel transmission crossmember rotated through 180 degrees which I have done and the glue is drying.
I have also started cutting the pickup tub interior from the body.
Fred