Vickers Wellington

Started by kitbasher, July 01, 2019, 08:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

No not THE Wellington, rather A Wellington.  Mercury-engined Wellesley development for the general reconnaissance role that in the so-called real world was briefly undertaken by the Avro Anson, and for the torpedo bomber role by the Vickers Wildebeest.  Using the Matchbox Wellesley and old-school Airfix Blenheim engines/undercarriage.  if it ends up lugging a torpedo that'll come from a Matchbox/Revell Beaufighter.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

The model started as a part-build (entry okayed by the Mods before the GB began). 

This weekend stripped of paint ready to take the new parts.  Blenheim engines assembled, one undercarriage unit built and fitted to the lower half of the Blenheim u/c nacelle.  This came from  the Blenheim that's being cross-kitted with an Airfix Boeing Clipper to create a Bristol Beaumaris (highly stalled build, see https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oif2a6ank72sbo6ubqgt408kj1&topic=36984.0).

Wellesley undercarriage doors fitted to fill in the wheel wells.  The sole undercarriage unit has been fitted to a wing.

To where the Wellesley's single Pegasus would be fitted a modified resin (IIRC from The Wooksta) Mosquito NF.XIII thimble nose has been added.  Needs fairing in and sanding to shape but otherwise a good match in terms of size and shape.  Would have used an NF.II/FB.VI nose fairing if I'd had one.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

PR19_Kit

That's looking VERY believable Dave, I like it a lot!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 15, 2019, 10:33:57 AM
That's looking VERY believable Dave, I like it a lot!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Kit, it's a build that's been high on my list forever and feared someone would beat me to it.  Amazed they haven't to be honest.

Another quandary is bomb load.  Use the Wellesley wing fairings or strap bombs to the wings.  I've some Airfix Fairey Battle 250 pounders that would do the trick - four would result in a bomb load only 200 lbs less than a Blenheim's but half a Wellesley's.  Still a lot more than (spoiler alert) an Anson I carried in the GR role at the start of WW2.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on September 15, 2019, 10:48:06 AM

Another quandary is bomb load.  Use the Wellesley wing fairings or strap bombs to the wings. 

All of the above?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Put the panniers on and got for a mid war scheme - Dark Slate Grey over Dark Sea Grey with Azure Blue undersides - as worn by the last Wellesleys in service used for ASW work in the middle east.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Panniers!  That's the word I was looking for!!

Yes that late-career scheme is interesting, have seen a Wellesley finished that way on Britmodeller.  Tempted but at the mo am planning the 'Wellington' to be what entered service instead of the Anson on GR duties.  A bit of timeline jiggling to consider.

dogsbody

Panniers mounted between the engine nacelles and the fuselage? Maybe?
Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Dizzyfugu

kitbasher

Quote from: dogsbody on September 15, 2019, 05:33:57 PM
Panniers mounted between the engine nacelles and the fuselage? Maybe?
Chris

Hadn't considered that option.  Mmm.  It'll be that or the panniers outboard of the engines.

kitbasher

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 16, 2019, 12:41:38 AM
Oh, that's looking sexy!  :wub:

You flirt!

Both engines/nacelles now faired in, have decided to go with the panniers but outboard of the engines.  Two MGs in the nose as well.

No modelling for a few days (mini-break in Paris), but must step up the pace when I get home at the weekend.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

kitbasher

As indicated in a previous update, I've gone with the panniers but they will be positioned further out along the wing than the Wellesley had them, this due to their proximity to the 'Wellington' engine nacelles.  Panniers about to have their paint stripped off.  All of the Airfix Blenheim engine parts are attached - chopped out sections of the spindly spiky exhausts (intended for the French option - don't forget I'm talking the original Airfix Blenheim not the current one) to form fuel vents and added them to the undersides of the wings.

Discovered the source part-build's rear Lewis Gun is missing - thankfully I've a pair of Aeroclub items (far superior to the plastic original anyway), so will use one of those.

Close to staring the painting - eeek!

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on September 29, 2019, 06:30:37 AM
chopped out sections of the spindly spiky exhausts (intended for the French option - don't forget I'm talking the original Airfix Blenheim not the current one)

French version ? Am I missing something ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.