Rickshaw's Roundup

Started by rickshaw, April 12, 2019, 08:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I am taking the plunge.  I have never had a diary before, let along a net log.

Anyway, I am presently working on a Heller AMX-13 in 1/35 scale.   It is well, shall we say a Gallic kit?  I have had problems before with Heller's aircraft kits and their, shall we say, unique methods?   Anyway, the AMX-13 has obscure instructions and some interesting methodology and of course, the usual dodgy fit of pieces.  This is the first ever AFV kit I have ever built which has required PSR.   The glacis to differential housing leaves a great deal to be desired, as has the turret pieces.  The hull top to the hull sides had some big gaps as well but I've managed to fix those with some liberal doses of glue coupled with some strong clamps.

I'm comparing it, I must admit to Tamiya kits.   Never have I really required any filler on them or clamps.   :banghead:

Anyway, this will be a part of my alternative Australian Army history.   More will be coming this year...  ;)

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

I haven't seen one of those built in a very, very long time and indeed I'm trying to remember how old the kit is ? Ah, according to Scalemates not as old as I thought ; 1975. I had memories of it being a 60's kit ?

Looking forward to this.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

I am also looking for the 1/35 AMX-13 VCI (Heller - Nr. 81140) kit but they appear to be rarer than rocking horse pooh.   Anybody got one they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price?   :banghead:

rickshaw

OK, had to put the AMX13 away for the moment until I can get some thinners for the Australian Army green enamel I'm using.

Started on the Indonesia's response to the purchase of the M60 by the Australian Army, the T-64 purchased just after the Wall came down.   It's a Skif model.  Interesting plastic, rather softer than what I've recently worked with.   Interesting construction methods thus far.   I've purchased separate hard plastic track links with this kit.  Tried to build them but decided it was too difficult.   Will see a little later if I'm really interested in wasting so much time doing that or will just stick with the soft-plastic tracks.

Finished an interesting addition to the RAN.  However, that will still remain a mystery for a few days while I do the decals on it.   Lovely grey and white scheme...    :thumbsup:

NARSES2

I've yet to build anything with individual track links. I have to admit they do look good, but the thought of all the work involved is just a tad off putting  :-X
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Having done it with both plastic (Bronco) & white metal (Fruil Model) tracks, I can definitely state that there are times during the process of preparing & building the tracks you want to scream with impending insanity because of the repetitiveness of it but the final result is, surprisingly, worth the effort. They do look & hang much better than any rubber-band track I've ever used.

The trick, I found, was to be patient & have something else to turn to when the going got (psychologically) tough.

Me? :unsure:

I'm Fi-ine!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

The Meng Cat D9 Dozer was my first build with individual link tracks.  It was a novelty and I didn't find it too much of a chore.  I like the way they worked properly and I could drive it along the bench.  At least they did until I glued it onto the trailer.
I have in the stash a 1/35 Dragon short barrel PIV which also has individual links.  That may be less of a novelty.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I am still considering the matter of the hard plastic tracks.   I tried to build a few links but they kept breaking when I tried to trim them.

Another problem which has surfaced though, with the T64 model.   The turret ring has the usual lugs which lock into the ring on the hull top.  Normally the notches are at 180 degrees apart on the turret.  Well, they lugs on the turret are but the notches are about 1 o'clock and say about a quarter past seven.    :banghead:

The more I build this kit I get the feeling that different designers designed the sprues differently to each other.  Some parts have nice little pin holes for part placement but others have none.  The gun barrel and the wading snorkel are just plain pieces of plastic without any locating pins or anything.  I've even managed to glue the commander's HMG on upside down (now corrected).   The instructions are vague, to say the least.   :banghead:

rickshaw

Quote from: salt6 on April 17, 2019, 08:14:06 AM
Rick,

Unless you want to show it opened up, you could use the VCA.  It might have the VCI interior from what I've seen on another website.

http://www.lesmaquettistes.com/t2614-amx13-vca-1-35-de-heller

OK, thanks.  That's the first picture I've seen of one assembled.  I reckon I could scratchbuild the rear interior (or as I suspect, it's actually in the VCA kit)...   :thumbsup:

rickshaw

OK, sorry for the late update.  I have been tearing my hair out trying to fix the tracks to the Heller AMX13 kit.  The tracks are too short and join in an odd manner.  I've tried stretching them in hot water but the rear idler keeps detaching from the hull.  This is going on the back burner for the moment.

I have basically finished the M48 MBT.  I have painted it in Lustreless Green (an odd Australian Army Khaki/Olive Green colour).   The tracks were a doddle compared to the AMX13's.

I have also basically finished the T64.  The tracks are the soft-plastic ones.  In the end, I couldn't be stuffed with the individual links.  The tracks were in four pieces(!).  I have managed to sew them to together and they are now on the vehicle.  I am just gluing the hull top to the hull bottom now and will affix the sandshields this evening.   Then comes the Cam painting.

The M48 and the T64 will then need their markings added and finally weathering.   :thumbsup:

kerick

Nice progress. It seems tracks are always a dilemma. Go with the easy to assemble, but maybe not so good looking ones, or the troublesome links that are trying to the soul. Personally, I've always used the easy ones and painted them up. Its good enough for me. I do have a couple of kits on the shelf that have links. I just haven't gathered the courage to try them yet.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on April 25, 2019, 07:09:54 AM
Nice progress. It seems tracks are always a dilemma.

Very much agree. I can still remember getting my mum to sew the ends together of the old Airfix Sherman and Panther tracks back in the day. Like you I have a couple of kits with "click and connect" tracks in the stash (1/72 scale) but haven't got around to trying them yet. Sometimes if they have sideskirts then they can come in very useful for hiding the join. Unfortunately from the memory the AMX 13 doesn't have them.

zenrat

Having finished the KrAz truck I have a 1/35 scale gap in my modelling schedule.  I got out a Dragon panzer IV, looked at the magic tracks and put it away again...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I've basically given up on the AMX13.  Does anybody know of an email address for Heller's spare parts department?  I've lost one of the rear idlers to the carpet monster and I would like to get a new set of tracks if possible.

I have basically finished both the M48 and the T64.   I just need to add the insignia to both.   Been a bit chilly in the modelling room so I've not gone ahead with the two aircraft and now the two tanks I have ready for decaling.

I have a 1/72 Voutour which I want to finish.  I've been using aluminium foil to cover it but that has revealed that the surface is not the best.  I think I need to use Mr.Surfacer.  Has anybody had any experience with this stuff?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on May 02, 2019, 04:17:49 AM

I think I need to use Mr.Surfacer.  Has anybody had any experience with this stuff?

I've still got a bottle of it that I tried out a year or so ago, the 1200 version I think, and it worked fine.

But it smells AWFUL! So much so I had to use my asthma inhaler numerous time while using the Mr. Surfacer. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit