Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

Hi everyone

Well, time to bite the bullet and start on the "smaller" of the 2 Star Destroyers I have in my stash (well really, the Bandai mini SD's are the smallest I have but they are not ones I am going to detail). The biggest one is the Korbanth Super Star Destroyer which measures out to be about a meter or so long! The Bandai ones are to go with the SSD. I will build the Korbanth monster one day but I want to tackle the one that requires the least amount of health defying work first. I have cleared some room on my display shelf for the standard SD and there's even some left over for the SSD  ;D

The Zvezda kit needs no introduction as there have been a multitude of these built online. I bought this ages ago but just haven't had the mojo to put in the effort it deserves.

I'll be adding details and of course lighting (which goes without saying really). For AM parts to go with this kit, I have the Falcon 3D printed hangar bay, rubbish chute, shield generators and engine bells - all of which are beautifully made and smooth as a babies behind. I might even go to Shapeways yet and order a set of gun turrets too.

As always, your feedback will be welcomed throughout the build - good or bad. If something looks wrong, say something. As nice as a "good job" etc is, constructive critique is a good way to learn and be a better modeller.

I've started with the engine block and have already removed the smaller molded on piping as they don't connect to the parts that they're meant to. It just looks weird

So this is what Zvezda give you in terms of detail OOB

Nothing wrong with that at all. Once those bells go on, you don't see much unless you're looking. Maskes  you wonder why I bother but I know it's there and so will you

Istarted off by removing the molded on pipes in the middle bit here because they don't even meet up to the parts at the end. They seem pointless and half done, which on a ship this size is noticeable. I have since replaced the stretched sprue pipes I stared off with, with brass rod which looks much better and more uniform

Now here's what I've added to the surfaces (bear in mind I have only just started and there is a LOT more to do yet! (I am just winging these details BTW)

The cream bits are all cast resin pieces of bits I use a lot of

As you can see in those last 2 pics, I've gone outside what is on the filming model and added an insert to make things a little bit more interesting. I'll be adding some pipes going in later

Anyways, I'll update again once I've finished the other sides

Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

zenrat

Dear powers that be, can we get the "eating popcorn" emoticon please?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

My gob is truly smacked already, and he's only just started!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 18, 2018, 01:04:09 AM
My gob is truly smacked already, and he's only just started!  :o

True, but it's the use of the word "smaller" that grabs me  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 18, 2018, 01:54:20 AM

Heaven help us if he gets to work on that 1 mtr. long version, it'll have fully working laser cannons!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

I shared a useful detailing and upgrade video here on the Zvezda ISD
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sykotik

Thanks guys

Scooter - funnily enough, I had your build referenced to me over on another forum and I saw the video you created. It's very nice work!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 18, 2018, 06:28:20 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 18, 2018, 01:54:20 AM

Heaven help us if he gets to work on that 1 mtr. long version, it'll have fully working laser cannons!  :o

LOL - whilst it maybe 1 meter long, the scale is a lot smaller than 1/2400 like this one. Here's a link to some of the pics I have of the parts etc:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm874pyQ

No working turrets on that one I'm afraid. Maybe if it was the Randy Cooper Star Destroyer I could make semi 'working' turrets but it would be limited to flashing barrels only. Even then, I'm not sure even I could pull something like that off. It would still be pretty cool though!
I don't have far to go on the back end in regards to detailing. Just a few more pipes and then some lights and it'll be done. I think I'll tackle the bridge next and then who knows. I'll figure it out as I go ;)
Pics will be coming soon
Thanks for looking
Si

Old Wombat

Honestly, mate, if I had half your greebling skills I'd be a very happy man! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 19, 2018, 03:42:58 AM
Honestly, mate, if I had half your greebling skills I'd be a very happy man! :thumbsup:
Seconded!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

sykotik

Update #2 - almost done with the back end

So, most of the piping has been added and I am happy with how it's coming along. I am still going to add a few more closer to the central leading edge just to busy that up a little more but it won't be a lot.

I drilled out the ends of the engines ready for the lighting to go in. I won't add that until after painting.

I won't talk much and let the pictures tell you what I've done

Well, that's all I have for now. The next update should hopefully be the finished back end

Till next time, thanks for looking

Si

zenrat

To my mind it looks a bit busy now with all that pipework.
However, that is prolly because it's brass coloured and so stands out.  I am sure that when its painted it'll look fab.
Whatever, it's certainly a lot of work there.  Good job.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sykotik

Your quite right - it won't look so busy once the paint goes on  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sykotik

Well, I've done all the detailing that I'm going to do to the back end. I'll be base painting it all black etc shortly and then onto getting the lighting sorted out. I'm not sure which colours I should go for. Ice blue or white for the main thrusters? Warm white for the smaller ones as well.

Next update should be the final pics of the back end

Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

PR19_Kit

That looks WILDLY complicated and it's difficult to grasp without some size reference. So what diameter is that big centre engine please?

Regards
Kit