AvPro Marauder (1/72)

Started by jalles, November 04, 2017, 03:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalles

I really couldn't decide what I wanted to do, even after browsing the rich inspiration thread in this group build.

I stumbled upon the AvPro Marauder concept and it really fits the bill, here are a couple pictures of it.

I don't know much about AvPro, from what I've read online they were anything from a think tank to a bunch of charlatans, but I think this concept is pretty cool.  It looks slightly different in each painting so mine will be a amalgam of what I like best, hopefully similar to the AEW&C one above, but without the radome.

I'd love to do a diorama like that first image, with the Marauder dropping off a group of special forces.  This is going to be entirely scratch built, so to be honest I'll be happy just to finish!

kitnut617

Now that looks like a project  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But look at those F-35B's, I did my Sidetrack F-35 in those markings , sorry no photos but see here.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4301.msg73253#msg73253
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jalles

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 04, 2017, 04:31:29 PM

But look at those F-35B's, I did my Sidetrack F-35 in those markings , sorry no photos but see here.

Do you need to login?  I can't see the photos?

kitnut617

Quote from: jalles on November 04, 2017, 04:43:52 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 04, 2017, 04:31:29 PM

Do you need to login?  I can't see the photos?

Oops! sorry --- yes you have to be registered to see photos there.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

This'll be good, I've always liked the Avpro concepts, especially the brutish looks of the Marauder.

Another pic:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Mossie on November 05, 2017, 01:37:22 AM
This'll be good, I've always liked the Avpro concepts, especially the brutish looks of the Marauder.

Another pic:

How would it take off from or land on water with under-wing ordnance like that? :unsure:

It's a natural for the British propensity for over-wing pylons & ordnance., though. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

All three versions seem to have totally different intake configurations, one has shock intakes like a Phantom, one has curved ones and one has stealthy intakes. Weird.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

"Artists impressions", Kit, you can't trust 'em! ;)

All three seem to be slightly different in other ways, too. The rear of the AWACS one is completely different to the other two, while the front of the version disembarking the troops (I can't figure out if it's a dozen from the one plane or half-a-dozen from each plane) is similar to the AWACS version but the rear is similar to the RN fighter.

Mossie

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 05, 2017, 01:41:53 AM
How would it take off from or land on water with under-wing ordnance like that? :unsure:

It's a natural for the British propensity for over-wing pylons & ordnance., though. :thumbsup:

I've just re-read the section on the Marauder in my copy of "Waplanes of the Future".  There were two main proposed versions, one that was capable of operating in ground effect and had the hull, another that was a conventional aircraft without the hull and wouldn't be capable of landing on water and this is the version you see with the ordnance.

Nearly all the artwork I've seen of the Marauder is different. I don't believe it was a concrete proposal.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

You could make something like that with:

1/48th F-19 (the rounded, pre-reveal one)
1/72nd F-111 canopy & cockpit
1/72nd Eurofighter or Gripen wings
2 x 1/72nd F-16 fins
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

jalles

Quote from: Mossie on November 05, 2017, 06:55:20 AM
Nearly all the artwork I've seen of the Marauder is different. I don't believe it was a concrete proposal.

Yeah, hopefully that will make my job easier, because I can just take the pieces I like best from each.  Mine clearly will be the production version  ;)

Quote from: Weaver on November 05, 2017, 01:26:18 PM
You could make something like that with:

1/48th F-19 (the rounded, pre-reveal one)
1/72nd F-111 canopy & cockpit
1/72nd Eurofighter or Gripen wings
2 x 1/72nd F-16 fins

I have an unbuilt 1/48th F-19 sitting on my desk and thought much the same thing.  Ultimately I wanted to see if I could just build it from scratch, make it it's own thing.  So on that topic, here is where it stands.

Hmmm...hopefully in a couple months it will look like a Marauder  :-\

Caveman

Looks like a lovely bit of workmanship so far
secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

Looking at that profile it reminds me of the hull of the Airfix RAF Rescue Launch or MTB.

The whole thing has a decided Trigan Empire vibe to it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

PR19_Kit

Looks like the sort of 'in build' pics I see in Model Boats magazine.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit