Ideas for the B-36 Peacemaker

Started by McColm, September 14, 2017, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The original sketches for the XB-36 back in 1941 had a twin fins at the tail, the same as the B-24.
A transport version had also been proposed and could carry 250 troops at a distance of 3,475 miles at an average speed of 300mph. Another troop transport concept was a double decker carrying 400 troops/passengers. A revised version had rear loading doors.
This was proposed before the XC-99 was ever thought of and the use of T34 or T56 turboprop engines for later follow-on versions.
Another Whiffer had an idea of a aerial water bomber or maritime surveillance.
A tanker version or weather reconnaissance.
I'm not too sure if the B-36 would make a good flying boat but it's worth a try.

PR19_Kit

They trialled a tanker B-36 during its earlier days, but using the Flight Refuelling probe and drogue system rather than the Boeing flying boom. The hose was deployed from the bomb bay on a hinged arm to ensure it was clear of the turbulence, but the idea wasn't adopted by the USAF. The 'Magnesium Overcast' book has some photos of the arm deployed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Rheged

I like the weather reconnaissance idea!  Think of all of the sundry excrescences (bulges, probes etc) you could add to the basic structure.

If you want a really off the wall suggestion, fit a camera pod or five and  paint up a B 36 in  UK Ordnance Survey livery.  Just the thing for providing detailed mapping for all of those newly independent countries of the Commonwealth.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Mine will be RAAF or RAF in anti flash white.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Could be the big brother to the Boeing Washington.
The flying battle ship, not too sure if twin booms and twin tail fins would work.

Cobra

i once Posted an Idea for Using the B-36 as a Fire Fighting Aircraft for Forest Fires,Think the B-36 would Work for that Role? Dan

Dizzyfugu

I wonder about a mini B-36, with reduced span (*Kit fades out*) and length and just four engines?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 15, 2017, 05:42:51 AM

I wonder about a mini B-36, with reduced span (*Kirt fades out*) and length and just four engines?

Sacrilege!

May I have the spare wing bits when you've done it and I can extend my Peacemaker?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Jesse220

How about a Soviet copy of the B-36 Peacemaker?

McColm

Just had a thought,
Something similar to the Boeing C-97. A double-deck, with the vacform kit sitting on top.
I can use the wings on my vacform B-35.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Another idea would be to use the 1/72 vacform Blohm and Voss BV222 with the vacform B-36, which would make a rather large flying boat.

McColm

Quote from: zenrat on September 16, 2017, 01:39:10 AM
Super-duper Guppy?
I 've got the 1/72 KC-97G vacform kit in my stash that I could use.