1/350 scale aircraft.....

Started by Army of One, January 24, 2017, 02:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

What do people do to replicate the canopy on these small solid plastic aircraft.......I've thought of black....silver....light blue but discounted light blue due to colour schemes.....any suggestions welcome....cheers
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

sandiego89

I have found the best material for clear canopies in 1/350 scale aircraft is clear plastic.  In 1/700 scale you can get away with painting canopies (light blue usually works) but in 1/350 I offer clear looks best.

So what to do?  Get a sharp blade and cut off/out the solid kit canopy and replace with a clear canopy from a kit that has them, or file a clear solid piece of plastic and glue into place.  Yes can be time consuming, but worth it IMO.

Get the magnifying glass handy!   

Here are some examples I did, sorry they pictures are not the best. 

Scratch 1/350 Convair SeaDarts.  The canopy is from a Trumpeter 1/350 A-7 kit, which has a separate sprue for the canopy.  The Trumpeter kits have a high quality, hollow canopy.   

The cut and file method.  Scratch 1/350 F-102, with the fuselage being partially from a A-7.  The canopy is the top half of a F/A-18 nose cut down and filed to shape.  The F/A-18 had already been sacrificed to supply P6M Sea master engine nacelles.   

The F-102/TF-102 production line.  Note the clear noses. Before the canopies were installed. 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

Clear noses for the prone bomb aimer?
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Army of One

Wow...some great work there.....the kits i have are Tamiya 1/350 designed I think for the Enterprise carrier kit......I think I'm tempted by black for the glass.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

sandiego89

Quote from: Army of One on January 27, 2017, 05:46:52 AM
Wow...some great work there.....the kits i have are Tamiya 1/350 designed I think for the Enterprise carrier kit......I think I'm tempted by black for the glass.....

A light black would likely be fine for the usual gray aircraft as would be seen on a modern or semi modern USN carrier deck. A true black might be too much contrast.  As you can see from the photo I have struggled and experimented for years with this dilemma in 1/700 scale.  Black, dark gray, silver, light gray, blue..

The Harrier II near the upper left looks pretty good, with a light black canopy.  The blue ones were never quite right, and would be even more pronounced in 1/350.

All the below are 1/700 (except the 1/350 F-102 in the rear)

Good luck!  Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"

Army of One

Wow......many thanks.....much appreciated....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

You are right about that light black  :thumbsup: The silver on the F.111 N ? looks o.k. as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 28, 2017, 03:11:06 AM
You are right about that light black  :thumbsup: The silver on the F.111 N ? looks o.k. as well

Thanks guys, glad I could help.  For the UK F-111B (aboard the stretched Ark Royal!), I used light gray for the canopy- likely a ghost gray.  It does look good, but perhaps would not work as well on a lighter gray USN aircraft.

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"