Sanding: Wet or Dry?

Started by TheChronicOne, January 21, 2017, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preferred Method

Wet Only
Wet and Dry Both, Depending on the Situation
Dry Only

TheChronicOne

Just curious! I've never really done wet sanding for whatever reason. Maybe because it's more messy? I don't know.. but anyway! I thought we'd just have a fun little poll and discussion.

Also, if you like wet sanding, what type of liquid? Plain water? Iso.?

Cheers!   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Steel Penguin

water from the paint brush washing glass,  what else?
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Mostly wet in my case.

It's more controllable to my mind, either with wet-and-dry paper or my fave foam sponges. Having just come downstairs from a mammoth PSR session on the Monsoon and Vindicator wings I feel well qualified on this subject right now.  ;D

Water's always worked fine for me, and I always keep a paper kitchen towel to hand to wipe the mess off every few minutes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Steel Penguin on January 21, 2017, 02:05:41 PM
water from the paint brush washing glass,  what else?

;D

Hey that's a thought! One reason why I've never really tried is I don't want to get up, put everything down, and climb up and down stairs to have to go get the water. I always have my brush water nearby though so, I'll remember that for next time.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 21, 2017, 02:06:49 PM
Mostly wet in my case.

It's more controllable to my mind, either with wet-and-dry paper or my fave foam sponges. Having just come downstairs from a mammoth PSR session on the Monsoon and Vindicator wings I feel well qualified on this subject right now.  ;D

Water's always worked fine for me, and I always keep a paper kitchen towel to hand to wipe the mess off every few minutes.

Ha! Pretty good timing for the thread here then.

I actually used a little bit of Iso. earlier because it was right in front of me and I thought, "What the hell." I was surprised at the "feel" of it and etc. It was quite nice and I'd like to do more wet sanding in the future.

Naturally, plain water is going to be fine, but I DO wonder if there are other things that could be used that would "boost" the process. Iso, vinegar perhaps, etc.. 

Anyway, wet sanding also extends the life of the sanding material if I'm not mistaken so I'm quickly becoming a fan.
-Sprues McDuck-

loupgarou

I am quite surprised at the question. Since about 40 years I have considered wet sanding as "standard".
-More regular work, less scratches
-longer life of sanding paper
-no dust flying around
-no heating of the plastic or resin in heavy jobs

Yes. it's messy, but my workbench is messy anyway. AND, for heavy jobs, like freeing vacuform or sanding raised lines or unwanted rivets, I work directly in the kitchen sink, with a constant water arrival. I have a glass plate with wet-and-dry paper glued to it to ensure "straight" sanding when necessary.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 21, 2017, 02:44:21 PM

Anyway, wet sanding also extends the life of the sanding material if I'm not mistaken so I'm quickly becoming a fan.

It certainly does, especially with the wet-and-dry faced foam sponges that I use. Every few minutes I stick the sponge underwater and rub the sanding face with one finger, much of the sanded material comes off and it's almost as good as new.

In this case the paint brush washing glass wouldn't be big enough mind you, and I've always used an old plastic micro-waved curry dish.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Mostly wet, some minor work dry.  And tap water.  Although, I have used sterile water and spare basin when sanding in an ambulance.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Wet sand over the basement laundry sink. Since my work place is in the basement it works out fine. I'll use dry for small areas or if something is assembled to the point water might get trapped inside.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

I find a drop of washing up liquid in the water helps , as the wet and dry paper lasts longer and less clogging.

zenrat

Dry only for sanding.
Wet for polishing with a touch of WUL in the water.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Hobbes

I much prefer wet sanding. It seems to leave the sanded surface smoother, perhaps because the sandpaper clogs less.

I've got a plastic serving tray to catch the runoff, so the mess is contained. With dry sanding I get sanding dust everywhere.
The main drawback of wet-sanding is cold fingers.

Librarian

Always damp, occasionally wet. Keeps the dust down too from sanding filler. I use an electric Black and Decker Mouse for larger projects and spray the plastic with one of those old weed-killer bottles as the plastic can gum up on older, thicker plastic.

I'd hate to see the inside of my lungs...should really get a mask ;D

NARSES2

Wet mainly, dry for the odd little job. Mainly over the kitchen sink but for small jobs then I use an old supermarket tub some meat came in. Mince I think ? Spag Bol ?  ;D. Don't use a mask for this.

Resin and Miliput always wet and nearly always with a mask, sometimes forget even though it's right in front of me on the bench  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Basically wet, because it keeps both the sanded surface and the sand paper clean and unclogged. Also less messy concerning dust. I use a small tub with water for the PSR process.
Occasionally I use only dry sand paper, though.