RAN F9F-8 Cougar - Finished &, finally, with AIM-9Bs

Started by Old Wombat, January 16, 2017, 05:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

OK, the latest challenge, KittyHawk's F9F-8 Cougar to be done in RAN colours ... but which colours? :-\

I don't know! :o

I was really impressed with the look of this kit in the box but I'm a little disappointed, now, as there are some minor engineering issues & I'm finding parts that are slightly short-shot with small but annoying bits missing or only part-formed, like locating pins & small corners of parts. So, I can see some fit issues & PSR in my future.

Other than that the details are nice, if a little soft in places but not enough to worry about. The kit comes with 2 complete sets of glazing & 2 ejection seat options, so I have a canopy & a bang-seat to spare.

I had a bit of an issue putting the cockpit together, which may be down to me but I get the feeling it may be poor design & engineering of the kit, as the parts don't seem to quite match up to create what they are meant to look like..

However, I've overcome that & here are the first pic's of the cockpit & the ejection seat I didn't go with, although I built both, just in case;

Hope to be able to show more progress soon! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

That cockpit is looking very good, we want more! :thumbsup:
How about the camo the A-4's used?
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

A bit late for my build (late-50's/early-60's) but I don't want to do basic US Lt Gull Grey/White (Gull Grey/Lt Gull Grey, according to the instructions) or DSG/Sky -, although I may look at variations on those themes.

NARSES2

Nice work on the cockpit.

As for scheme, how about DSG over sky but with either a very low demarcation as per WWII or maybe one at the fuselage half way point ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Cockpit looks faaaantastic!   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

Thinking! Thinking! :blink:

zenrat

As its a naval jet, how about desert colours?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Been working on the nose-cone & guns, then realised that when I put it all together you can't see any of it. :unsure:

So, being a resourceful whiffer, I've used some styrene rod & I'll use some lead weights to keep the nose down, & I'll save the guns, & ammo boxes & chutes for something else. ;D

Old Wombat

Ha! "Not stalled" my ar$e! :rolleyes:

Anyway, almost 3 years later, it's back on the bench & moving forward very slowly, as I'm masking & painting a chequerboard pattern on the wing roots & rudder(s). :o

Scheme will probably be basic light gull grey over white but I may go DSG over light blue. We'll see. ;)

TheChronicOne

Good, You and Kit I know of are resurrecting these undead zombie builds in the month of October, the Halloween Time. I applaud these sorts of shenanigans.

Partly built models languishing for years is a sad affair.

I might need to dredge up one of mine. I have two that I can recall.   :angel: :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

I may have one or two others in the same boat. :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 15, 2019, 12:46:46 AM

I may have one or two others in the same boat. :rolleyes:

At my last count, and that was when Mrs_PR19 was alive, I had sixty two unfinished projects!  :o

Not all Whiffs though, some RW stuff in that list.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

OK, here is the pic of the chequerboard. Needs a little touching up but nothing too drastic.

PS: I've replaced the P-bucket images from earlier with SmugMug images, so they show properly.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 16, 2019, 01:51:50 AM

PS: I've replaced the P-bucket images from earlier with SmugMug images, so they show properly.

Ah yes, much clearer now.  :thumbsup:

I may have lost the point somewhere but you seem to have two ejector seats for it, one silver one on the left and one already installed with khaki upholstery on the right. Or have I got that TOTALLY round my neck?  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

From my first post, just above the photo's:

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 16, 2017, 05:06:12 AM
The kit comes with 2 complete sets of glazing & 2 ejection seat options, so I have a canopy & a bang-seat to spare.

... here are the first pic's of the cockpit & the ejection seat I didn't go with, although I built both, just in case;

;)