Tamiya Electric Handy drill - yay or nay ?

Started by mkhulu, July 10, 2011, 08:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkhulu

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=74041

Seems a pretty cool gadget or will a pin vice suffice ? (it rhymes :D)

thanks - chocks away Ginger !
Going nowhere slowly

Hobbes

There's a brief review here: http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php?topic=13050.0

Haven't used it, but I'm tempted. A pin vise will drill through plastic in no time, so you don't really need it. But at the moment I use a cordless drill on my models on occasion, both for drilling and with other Dremel accessories (e.g. milling bits). I don't know if the chuck on this device is big enough to accept those, though.

Weaver

I like the idea of a low-powered, low-speed drill. I've got a cheap Dremel clone and 9/10 times it's too damn powerful, always a slip away from melting the plastic with a sanding tool or drilling too far. Having said that, I find the hand-operated Archimedes-screw-type pin vice of the most pleasing and accurate modelling tools on the bench....  <_<
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

I was going to post the same link as Hobbes..
  great minds an all that
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

rallymodeller

Re low speed: probably the best purchase I ever made was my dental drill (an Osada Beaver XL). It has infinitely variable speed from 0-40,000 RPM and is dead strong at low speeds; I can (and have) drilled metal at about 100 RPM. The issue I have with Dremels is that they are next to useless when it comes to styrene as even the low setting on the five-speed ones is too fast, and the variable ones are weak at low RPMs. The Tamiya one seems just the trick, and if I didn't already have the Osada (I got it for stupid cheap from a family denturist friend along with about 150 bits) I'd definitely get one.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

beowulf

i think i will pass on the tamiya one..................if i cant do it with a pinvice i have an old cordless drill with a proper chuck and speed controlled trigger.......its so old, small and underpowered its useless for use as a proper drill (been replaced several times over, over the years) but for styrene its perfect
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

mkhulu

Going nowhere slowly