Bonestell Moonrocket in 1/350 scale

Started by frank2056, April 09, 2011, 07:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I had this printed out a while ago, but just now got around to finishing it. The original is from Bonestell & Ley's "The Conquest of Space" and I used Jon Roger's drawings and dimensions (from "The Spaceship Handbook") to make the 3D version in Rhino:

Original Bonestell:

Parts:

An obscene amount of PSR (actually, mostly S&R - I did a good job designing it and didn't need putty) and Mr. Surfacer later:

The figure is a 1/350 sailor from Preiser.

On the plans I used:

Cobra

Awesome Job,Frank :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sure you didn't Work for NASA? this is Cool,Well Designed,and Well Built! Thanks for Posting :cheers: Dan

Ed S

Nicely done.  And a great use of some new technology. 
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

NARSES2

Silly question. Is this made form parts "printed" on a 3D printer ?

If so then it's the first model done this way I think I've ever seen. Excellent work  :bow:

Have to admit I was sceptical of the process but then the only example I've seen was in the Science Museum in Kesington.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 10, 2011, 02:01:49 AM
Silly question. Is this made form parts "printed" on a 3D printer ?

The process starts by scanning in the plans I bought from Jon Rogers (1 sheet) then importing it as a background image into Rhino. I then drew out the components that would eventually become the 3D object. After that was done and the model was scaled to 1/350, I checked that the file was printable and mailed it off to Shapeways in the Netherlands. They printed out the parts.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like in Rhino:

Ideally I should make a mold of the master printed parts and work on resin copies, but since I have more than one copy, I went ahead and built a master.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Thanks for the explanation - interesting
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Doc Yo

Thats gorgeous, Frank. I'm really going to have to take a crack at Rhino one of these days.

frank2056

Quote from: Doc Yo on April 11, 2011, 08:31:54 AM
Thats gorgeous, Frank. I'm really going to have to take a crack at Rhino one of these days.

Thanks Craig. It's not as hard as it seems and the in-program help is very good. The key is to pick a simple but challenging project and set aside a day (or an afternoon) to get familiar with the program. I picked the C-57. It took me the better part of a Saturday but at the end of the day I had something that looked like a C-57 (without the stairs).

Brian da Basher

Wow Frank, that's sooo cool it hurts! I know a couple of vintage shops that'd ask a couple of Frankins for something like this.

Printing out your own models?? I am now envy personified.

Outstanding!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher