Lockheed P-2V Neptune tanker conversion & alternative engines

Started by McColm, February 28, 2011, 03:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi,
Although this might not seem a new idea, my research shows that the Neptune was never used as a buddy-refueling aircraft or tanker to refuel other aircraft.
A civilian transport version was proposed but was cancelled. Although a few were converted for private use.
Nor was there an all jet powered version.
Cargo versions, AEW, MPA, bomber, night bomber, attack, trainer, Covert Operations, ElINT, Search and Rescue and fire fighting, with skis and even rato pods fitted,recon,drone mothership, carrier trials to name but a few.

My version the K would have all its bulges removed, a deeper weapons bay similar to the Ariel tanker/water bomber. I could use the refueling tanks off the C-130 under the wings. An old Airfix F-27 could be utilised, engines donated making it a turboprop.
Radical redesign in using Canberra engines or the jet pods off an old S-3B Viking. Thought of using engines off my wrapt Novo Shackleton if they fit.
No paint or colour scheme as yet, open to ideas.

pyro-manic

The Japanese built a turbo-prop version, the P-2J, which was used for ELINT and drone control as well as the standard maritime patrol role. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_P-2J
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

Love the idea. The Neptune is one of the coolest looking aeroplanes out there, and one of the most under-whiffed ! I've got three in the stash that were going to be real-world RCAF jobs....

Too bad nobody makes a 72nd scale DHC Buffalo, the engines from it would be perfect for that turbo conversion.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Big Gimper

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 07, 2011, 11:36:39 AM
Love the idea. The Neptune is one of the coolest looking aeroplanes out there, and one of the most under-whiffed ! I've got three in the stash that were going to be real-world RCAF jobs....

Too bad nobody makes a 72nd scale DHC Buffalo, the engines from it would be perfect for that turbo conversion.

CC: How is your Portuguese?  ;)

http://www.commerce-center.com.br/produtofull.php?cartID=dc70c5852dfa58f55acea3cd92eea981&prod_id=3050015

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=11268.0
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 07, 2011, 11:36:39 AM

Todd , there are two companies that do a 1/72 Buffalo, Combat Models have a vacuform (I have one which doesn't look quite as bad as what Barry says) and then there's a Brazilian company that does a resin one.  I've seen one of those at Invader Hobbies in Calgary and the general concensus was "it was a piece of crap"

But there's this conversion to do a turbo-prop Neptune.

http://nsf.tc/~nmc/ProductDetail.php?iProduct=5&stock=0
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

rickshaw

Neptune wouldn't make a particularly good tanker aircraft.  The fuselage is too slim and it wouldn't be able to carry very much fuel.   Yes, RR Darts, even Tynes would more than likely fit.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

Thanks,
I've seen the areial fire fighter version of the Neptune, they seem to have a deeper and squarer/oblong weapon bay. I was looking to copy that.

McColm

Has anyone thought of a four engine turbo prop version? Or all four engines being of the same kind on the Neptune, shortened B-17 in appearance?

McColm

Hi,
I've used two Allison T56-A-15 engines from Flighpath 1/72 resin set-djparkins. I carefully cut the engine cowling holes the same shape as the Allison engines. By inserting them the shape of the cowling changes towards the front end, but doesn't disort the backend too much.
I'm thinking along the terms of the Neptune MR2 for the RAF. Using ESM pods from the BAe Nimrod on the wing tips (if they aren't too long), instead of the searchlight and tip-tank. I'll also use the IR from the Nimrod and locate this under the Neptune's nose.
Another idea is to use the radome from my failed attempt of the Shackleton AEW-wrapt Novo kit and use this on the upper fuselage over the gun turret. I could utilse the missile racks from my Revell Tornado GR1 kit along with the seats, buddy refueling pod and inflight refueling probe. As the roof isn't flat the probe would have to be on the left or right handside of the fuselage.

Weaver

I tentatively plan to use a couple of AS Pythons (i.e. Wyvern nose sections) to make an early updated RAF version.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

McColm

Hi Guys,
What about an all jet powered Neptune, any suggestions on the engines?

scooter

Quote from: McColm on November 01, 2014, 12:23:24 PM
Hi Guys,
What about an all jet powered Neptune, any suggestions on the engines?

4 J47s, like on the B-45?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng