Main Menu

Arado Ar. E 555

Started by TallEng, March 10, 2010, 05:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

I know I shouldn't, I've got enough projects, ideas etc going on, but in the end I couldn't resist!
So I am going to try and do;
Revells Arado Ar. E 555 as an Anti shipping variant (after all if it had the range for New York I am sure it could manage to patrol the bay of Biscuits and the Mid Atlantic gap!)

I thought a couple of Fritz X glide bombs would be nice
but they are to big to fit in the bomb bay!! so...

Modified U/C bay ( In my opinion the doors are way too BIG to hang in the wind if you build it as Revell intend)

And then I thought, if you gone to all that bother to fly out into the middle of the Atlantic, found your convoy; you'd be pretty disappointed
if you only had two bombs and one of them missed or went U/S.
So I've added a couple of (modded) Flak 88's with 200 rounds per gun (storage in the bomb bay) and automatic loading (pneumatic with bleed air from the engines)
and a mix of H.E. and Armour piercing shells :thumbsup: that ought to make mincemeat of any unfortunate freighter you got in your (radar ranging, Gyroscopically stabilised) sights :wacko:

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Slerski

Very nice idea, these Flak 88 may generate a large drag  ;D but you want to attack ships so  :thumbsup:
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Taiidantomcat

Great progress already!!  :o
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

frank2056

Your build looks great! The E.555 is one of my favorite models; it goes together like a dream. I did something similar with mine (minus the big 88):

Allan

Impressive model and good whifhistory.
Allan

Taiidantomcat

Are you going to do a "wave mirror" pattern on this?

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

TallEng

I am going to try and replicate a wave like camouflage, but not "mirror wave" unless my idea doesn't work/look right :blink:
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TallEng

Over due update!
Got distracted by a weeks holiday and a Lightning, and then suffered a couple of near disasters with the Arado!!
I used the sort of glue that melts plastic to fix the weights inside the wing to prevent tail sitting :banghead:
Which resulted in some unnecessary filling, to the underside of the wings.
I also tried to modify the Engines so that the outer pair each side don't sit so close to the upper wing surface,
that also went a bit wrong (removed to much and the wrong angle :banghead:)
Anyway I think I can recover the engines, so I think a couple of progress pictures are in order.

The 88's fairings have been on a drastic weight reduction and improved aerodynamics course!!

I've also added a gun ranging radar pod

Still to do... I think I need to add an Ammunition feed for each gun and a shell ejector shute
and think up a suitable camouflage scheme, oh and finish it in about 10days!! :blink:

Taiidantomcat

I am excited to see more, keep at it and pray for an extension  :thumbsup:

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

beowulf

very sexy!  :wub:

liking the look of that...coming together very nicely
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder