Supermarine Swallow F2

Started by andrewj, August 19, 2009, 11:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

By Febuary 1954, even as the first Swifts were entering service with 56 squadron RAF, it was becoming apparent that the aircraft was flawed in several repects. The F2's that arrived that August proved no better, so Supermarine and the Air Ministry were forced to look at another project on the books, the Type 545.
   This aircraft showed much more potential, so renewed effort was put into the project and the Swift program severely scaled back, except for a low-level reconnaissance version and several experimental variants. With many more resources now availible the type 545 quickly matured into an extremely capable fighter, that became known as the Swallow.
     The Supermarine Swallow F1 entered service with 56 sqd in late 1957 ,replacing the Hawker Hunters that had in turn replaced Swifts in March 1955. The RR Avon RA35R engined Swallow F1 armed with 4 Aden cannon soon proved a considerable advance on the Hunters, being capable of Mach 1.3 in level flight. By late 1958 , however, the Swallow F2 was entering service ,uprated with the RB106 engine which gave an improved performance of Mach 1.68 and was equiped for Firestreak AAM's.  Most of the F1's were later converted to F2 standard, these aircraft gave the RAF a greatly increased operational capacity pending the introduction of the English Electric Lightning, and many served into the early 1970's

JayBee

Absolutely fabulous! :wub:
I love the airbrake.

I am lost for any other words.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

Now here's a very interesting model, I like it !!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  well done !!!
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Top banana!  Wish I'd thought of that.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Hman

I can see it now on a Pathe news reel...wonderful! :wub:

Ok so what is made from...what were the donor kits etc?
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

andrewj

Quote from: Darren on August 19, 2009, 01:56:22 PM
I can see it now on a Pathe news reel...wonderful! :wub:

Ok so what is made from...what were the donor kits etc?
Thanks everyone, glad you like it, as you may have guessed it started life as a 1/48 Revell F86D , some plastic sheet and about a boxfull of milliput,plus a few bits from the spares box.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

lancer

What a beautiful looking machine!!! Brilliant build
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

ElectrikBlue

sideshowbob9

Creative idea and a beautiful model! :thumbsup:

comrade harps

Ergh... Suprisingly, in a good way. Like it.

A bit of F-86D there?
Whatever.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ed S

Very nice.  An interesting look to this one. 

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Green Dragon

Real nice looking plane, love the wings and airbrake set up. :thumbsup:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

bacofoil

Very very cool looking piece of work there sir.Well done.