Westland-Fairey Rotocrane HC4

Started by PR19_Kit, July 10, 2018, 03:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The W-F Rotocrane in its various marks has been the RAF's main heavy lift 'helicopter' since the late 60s. Originally just a stripped down version of BEA's standard Rotodynes in its HC1 from, the Rotocrane was developed into a pure cargo carrying airframe, with most of the Rotodynes fuselage structure stripped away, but maintaining the revolutionary vertical lift capability combined with a 220 kt cruise speed in aeroplane mode, by far the highest for such aircraft worldwide.

Later marks offered increased wing span, higher powered Roll Royce Tyne engines and more sophisticated cargo handling fits. The latest versions, the HC4s, have 'all glass' cockpits together with a fully digital control system and enhanced defensive systems.

Without doubt the RAF's most famous Rotocrane is 18 Squadron's ZA718, named 'Bravo November' due to its heroic actions when it was coded as such during the 1982 Falklands War. 'Bravo November' was the only Rotocrane to escape the sinking of the MV Atlantic Conveyor on the 25th May 1982, and was the only heavy lift aircraft available to the British Forces during their liberation of the Islands. Subsequently having been upgraded twice and having served in many theatres of combat 'Bravo November' is assured of its place in the RAF's history and a place in the RAF Museum is guaranteed when it's retired.

=========================

The model consists of two Airfix Rotodynes, both suitably hacked about to remove most of their fuselages, and with stretched wings (WHAT a surprise.... ;D) The Tyne engines come from a Revell Transall C-160 and the twin booms (cue cheers from Tophe.... ;)) come from a Heller Noratlas, as does the landing gear.

The cargo depicted is an 00 gauge 40 ft Hi-Cube container from C-Rail that's been modified with a side access door.

The rotor system could come from many sources, but the current favourite are all six blades from a Chinook married to a hub from a Super Stallion.

Watch this space for pics, some maybe as soon as later this evening.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Fantastic!  Love this idea. 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jalles

I can't wait to see this! Waiting impatiently for pictures.

PR19_Kit

Here's the first build pics.

The container fully assembled, it took at least an hour.....  ;D

The basic structure of the Rotocrane. It's not immediately obvious but the fuselage is lengthened forward of the pylon by around 3-4 window bays. And the tail's cut off totally of course.

A rough approximation on how it'll look when assembled (with luck....)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

tigercat

Looking good .

The Container reminds me of the RAF chapel one at the TAG museum.

kerick

This looks like fun! I'll be watching!  :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Holy hell I love the conex....    ;D ;D

To borrow a phrase, "Keep going!"  :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 10, 2018, 03:28:28 PM
Later marks offered increased wing span
This is like a PR19_Kit (designer) trademark! Good! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

Kit at the end if this build we need a pic of the leftover parts and a summary of what you plan to do with them.  There's at least one more whif to be had out of them?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on July 10, 2018, 11:32:34 PM

Kit at the end if this build we need a pic of the leftover parts and a summary of what you plan to do with them.  There's at least one more whif to be had out of them?

Yes Dave, I've been wondering about that myself.  ;D

The bits of Rotodyne fuselage left over make up a VERY short 'dyne, which has some possibilities for sure.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

rickshaw

An interesting concept, Kit.  I note you have stated that you aren't going to use the 'dyne's tail.   What are you going to use instead?  The 'dyne appears dependent on having one...  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Noooo Brian, I said I'd cut it off, I didn't say I wasn't going to put it back again somewhere else.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Kit, how does that Sea-Can scale out when you're doing 1/72, is it a bit smaller ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike