B-52 "FICON": B-52 carrying F-104's *finished*

Started by sandiego89, March 18, 2018, 11:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

b29r

Dave, I'm just gobsmacked! :thumbsup: That is a marvelous build, and a great storyline, and you just wrestled the old girl into submission in a wonderful way.  If the seams gave you fits, the finished product sure doesn't show it. :thumbsup:

Fantastic!   :wub:

Best regards,
Kem

sandiego89

Thank you everyone!   A few of the underside to see how the F-104s fit. 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

jalles

Yeah, that's pretty darn fantastic  :thumbsup: Love the anti-flash white and silver  :wub:

Glenn Gilbertson

Stratos

Amazing work!, If I understood correctly by reading the backstory, the idea was to refuel the F-104 until they can land on a friendly airport. Is that?

sandiego89

Quote from: Stratos on June 06, 2018, 02:20:02 AM
Amazing work!, If I understood correctly by reading the backstory, the idea was to refuel the F-104 until they can land on a friendly airport. Is that?

Correct Syratos. Once the F-104s  were launched they could not hook back up to the B-52E launch ship, but the B-52 had a hose/drouge reel in the rear of the bomb bay to refuel the probe equipped fighters.
This refueling worked reasonably well for recon flights, and there were reports of the F-104s making brief, high sped penetrations of Soviet controlled airspace, but crews were less optimistic about making the rendezvous with the mother ship (or a sister ship B-52) if all out conflict broke out and they had to find their tanker in the heat if battle. Finding a suitable divert base in Europe, Iran, Turkey and other places was often part of the plan, and if all out nuclear war had happened the unspoken "head to the East of the Ural  mountains, punch out, and marry a local girl" plan common to other B-58 and Vulcan crews was always an option...
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Wow, very humbled to take the GB honors for this.  Thank you so much for the encouragement and support. 

This monster is really tough to take pictures of. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

Weaver

Not surprised you won. It's the epitome of the 1960s Cold War: a mix of technical innovation and ridiculous risk-taking... ;) ;D

Congratulations!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

TheChronicOne

Hell yeah, those are some righteous new shots.  :wub: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on June 16, 2018, 10:08:12 PM
Well done Dave.

King of the big jobs...
;D

That's what I was thinking... to that end... let's get a picture of this together with the crop duster . . . . . .    :wacko: :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-