Shackletunderland

Started by ericr, December 09, 2017, 02:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericr

zany, zanier, zaniest ?

still beyond my usual skill, but going there anyway  :wacko:

two quite vintage kits, found for cheap, and waiting in my stash for quite some time :
an Airfix Sunderland
a Frog Shackleton

loupgarou

A daring project!
But you'll have to raise the wings a lot, or make a very steep gull-wing.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

You could graft the upper fuselage of the Sunderland, complete with roots, into the top of the Shackleton perhaps?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

thanks !

I thought about the wings question just after I had started cutting ... luckily, otherwise it might have discouraged me ;)

In between I thought about it, and began cutting the wing root to place it higher up,
but found out that there is a part in the kit going from within one wing to the other in order to keep them straight and together :
I think I can just use that to attach the wing at the top of the Shackleton fuselage, so it might work out not too difficultly

wait and see

Captain Canada

Excellent idea ! I've been wanting up-engine one using Shak engines and props, but this is way better !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Good idea,
I'm experimenting with the Lockheed Constellation instead of the Shackleton and the  Shinmiewa PS-1 hull & wings. The wings will be fitted to a shoulder mount, that I'm creating.
I look forward to your build being completed.

jcf

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Something similar was actually proposed using Lancaster bits:

The Rat

Oh yeah, this is gonna be GOOOOOD!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 09, 2017, 07:12:45 AM
Excellent idea ! I've been wanting up-engine one using Shak engines and props, but this is way better !

:thumbsup:

If you do, you'll want to re-align the engines so that they point straight forward. The Sunderland configuration has them pointed 4 degrees outward, which caused a pronounced nose-up flick if power was suddenly reduced. With the extra power of the Griffons that could be a problem.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

McColm

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 09, 2017, 11:55:11 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Something similar was actually proposed using Lancaster bits:

That gives me an idea for the 1/72 "Mavis' flying boat and Shackleton spare parts.

ericr

I am busy finding a (simple enough for my skills) solution to put the wings higher up ;

what my skills certainly do not allow is to consider angles with a precision of 4 degrees  ;)

The Rat

Quote from: ericr on December 10, 2017, 02:27:03 AM

I am busy finding a (simple enough for my skills) solution to put the wings higher up ;

what my skills certainly do not allow is to consider angles with a precision of 4 degrees  ;)

;D  Perhaps an easier way would be to straighten the leading edge of the wing and shim the trailing edge root. The Sunderland prototype had a straight leading edge, but when the 4-gun Fraser Nash tail turret was fitted it introduced a C of G problem. It was rectified by giving the wings a 4° sweep, but the engine mounts were never modified to adjust for that.

ericr

busy managing the wing attachement ...
it will be high enough, with a kind of shoulder like a Shinmeiwa

ericr

some progress ....

still quite some work to make it water tight ...  :o

ericr

and by the way, what about the rest of the Sunderland, shall you ask?
as was noted recently somewhere around here, I like to use all parts or at least most of them,
so there will be a waterline Sunderland (with special experimental floats arrangement)