Japanese Horten 229 Flying Wing Fighter

Started by seadude, September 21, 2017, 07:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

What if the Germans had shared with the Japanese the technology of the Horten 229 flying wing fighter?

Now you can find out as I build the 1/72 scale Revell Horten 229 into a what if Japanese Horten 229.  :thumbsup:

I don't know a hill of beans when it comes to Japanese aircraft, markings, paint schemes, etc.  So if I screw something up and it looks wrong, then too bad. It's a whif, so anything goes. ;)  I had asked about the wheel well and landing gear door color here:
http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,44280.0.html
Since I'm broke and can't afford to buy new bottles of paint right now, I had to use whatever was already available to me. Therefore, the wheel wells and landing gear door interiors got painted Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue. The color for the underside of the aircraft will be Testor Acryl Light Grey. Top aircraft color might be Olive Drab, though I'm not sure yet.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

comrade harps

Whatever.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on September 22, 2017, 07:13:19 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 22, 2017, 06:00:46 AM
Quote from: comrade harps on September 21, 2017, 11:41:18 PM
I'm looking forward to this  :thumbsup:

Me to plus it's got me thinking  :thumbsup:

Oh? Thinking about what?

I've a couple of German Flying Wing type projects in the resin part of the stash and one of those might suit Japanese markings. Hadn't thought of it before, so thank you  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

A few more pics. The "depression" at the back of the engine exhaust area is painted Testor Acryl Jet Exhaust color. The rest of the area behind that is painted Testor Acryl Steel. The yellow wing leading edges may look nice and bright, but that's only because of the effect of my camera flash, not because of how good or bad my painting is. The bottom of this model aircraft is getting painted Testor Acryl Light Grey. The top of the aircraft is getting painted Testor Acryl Olive Drab. I painted the guns and ammo boxes, but unfortuneately once they're inside and the upper and lower center fuselage sections are glued, you can't see them anymore..........unless you're a judge at a contest with a tiny mirror and flashlight.  :wacko:  There are access panels that cover both guns, but I might leave one of them open. I'm not sure yet.

seadude

Few more pics. The cockpit, intakes, and engine exhaust areas in the pics might look like they were painted bluish, but they weren't. This was a side effect of my camera flash going off. Next thing to work on will be the landing gear........which I am not looking forward to.  :banghead: Some of the parts are thin and fragile.

seadude

Final pics to come tomorrow. Working on canopy and other final details tonight. The landing gear was a MAJOR pain in the ***.   :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  Especially the nose landing gear. Unfortuneately, when a person looks at my model from a head on view, the nose gear is "slightly" slanted toward the left side of the aircraft.  :banghead: 

nönöbär

Nice, I once build the prototype of it:

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,41654.0.html

But this was made form the "great" PM-Models kit, with its 20 parts or so.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

seadude

Ok, I'm calling this one done.  :thumbsup:  My biggest complaint about this kit was the landing gear, especially building the nose landing gear.  :banghead:  Trying to get the 3-4 different strut pieces properly attached was a real pain. Unfortuneately when you look at the front head on pics of the model, you'll see that my nose landing gear is "slightly" slanted. I tried to correct it as best I could, but........ :banghead:

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Rheged

A fascinating outcome.  I'm impressed with both construction and original idea.  Well done.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

An excellent job, and very quickly done too.  :thumbsup:

The fact that the nosewheel is on a slight slant is overwhelmed by the sheer SIZE of the thing, why ever did they make it so huge?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit