Nakajima Ki-229 コウモリの翼, August 1945

Started by nönöbär, January 02, 2016, 03:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

The first model for this year, and I always wanted to make something in this color/markings.

Nakajima Ki-229 コウモリの翼, August 1945

The Plane:

Japanese aircraft manufacturers were inspired by late-war German jet fighter designs. Some of their designs took some ideas from the German aircraft designs like the Nakajima Kikka (Me 262) while others were more or less based on the German planes like the Nakajima Ki-201 (Me 262) or Mitsubishi J8M (Me 163).

So its not really surprising that other designs took some interest as well. Among those was the Nakajima Ki-229 コウモリの翼 (Bat-wing) which was based on the Horton IX/Gotha Go 229. Construction of the first prototype started in December 1944 at a time when the first prototype of the Horton IX flew in Germany. However, construction only proceeded slowly and the planned maiden flight in July 1945 was delayed and was finally set to August 12, 1945. As this was the day, the Japanese Emperor decided to surrender, the Ki-229 never made a flight at all.

Like other Japaense planrs, the aircraft was captured by US troops and later transported to the USA for further inspections.

The model shows the Nakajima Ki-229 in its prototype colors on the days of its planned maiden flight in August 1945. 

The Ki-229 and its "brother", the Horten IX (this model was build about 20 years ago)

The Model:

The model was made from a PM-Model kit which consited of less than 20 parts. Like most of the kist of this Turkish manufacturer. Airbrushed with Revel Aqua Color it was build OOB, just the cannons were removed. Decals are form a Mitsubishi Zero kit.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Dizzyfugu

Nice! I also have a weak spot for a Japanese Go 229, but I'd rather convert it into a propeller aircraft with two inline engines and pusher props. No ide if or when it materializes, but your kit gives a good impression of the result. The orange livery looks great, BTW! Could also be a trainer? :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Love the way you've done it in the Prototype colour scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

comrade harps

Whatever.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..