Soviet Space Battlecarrier

Started by seadude, February 22, 2017, 07:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Several months ago, I won the following kit in a raffle at my local model club meeting. One idea I had was to whif it into a non-SBY universe Cold War era Soviet space battlecarrier. Though instead of the classic red hull color, I chose to paint mine in an olive drab green scheme. I know, it probably would've looked much cooler in a red color scheme to match the Soviet communist regime, but I couldn't afford the money to buy new bottles of red paint, so I had to use whatever was most abundant already at home. Flight deck is painted Gunship Grey. The black lines on the flight deck indicate aircraft elevators. There's one black line silhouette at the rear of the ship which indicates where a retractable gun turret will be. Trying to paint this model is a beast as everything needs two coats of paint.  :banghead: I will add 3 small fighters that are spare parts from another kit. They are 1/500 scale even though the main ship is 1/1000 scale. You can see one of the fighters on the flight deck. I don't think it looks too bad. It looks like it might fit/work on the flight deck.

More pictures to come in the next few days.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Captain Canada

Cool. A lot bigger than I thought it would be !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 22, 2017, 07:42:25 PM
Cool. A lot bigger than I thought it would be !

:thumbsup:

Yeah, at 1/1000 scale, I thought the model would be significantly smaller. What a surprise that it wasn't.  :o Overall, I'd say it's about maybe 16 inches long.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

chrisonord

I likes this, wonder if Bandai will listen if I ask them for a 1/72nd scale one :wacko:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on February 23, 2017, 02:27:04 PM
I likes this, wonder if Bandai will listen if I ask them for a 1/72nd scale one :wacko:
Chris.

You must have some BIG shelves Chris, that'd be over 18 feet long!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

I wouldn't call it 100% done, but rather 99.9% done. After taking pics and viewing them on my comp, I realized there are a few "tiny" orange hull spots that need touch up.  :o  But anyway, here she is, my "unofficial Soviet Group Build project".  ;D

U.S.S.R.S. BAKU
"KIEV CLASS" BATTLECARRIER

BATTLECARRIER SPECIFICATIONS:
LENGTH OF SHIP:  390 meters     
WIDTH: 67-70 meters
ARMAMENT:
a) 4x Main 28cm triple gun beam turrets (One of which is retractable.)
b) 4x 13cm triple gun beam turrets (2 on each side of the ship.)
c) 2x 6-tube missile launchers (Behind the towering bridge superstructure.)
d) 2x retractable upper weapon decks (Each deck has 1x 28cm triple gun beam turret, 2x 13cm triple gun beam turrets, and 16x VLS missile tubes)
e) 2x retractable lower weapon decks (Each deck has 2x 13cm triple gun beam turrets.)
FIGHTERS: 30-40 "Krechyet" (Gyrfalcon) class fighters

The upper weapons deck (Center of picture below.) as originally for the BANDAI model which can be interchanged with a portion of the front flight deck.

My model pics below:

Here is the upper weapons decks which would normally fit into the flight deck.

Closeup of the upper weapons decks and it's relative position on the flight deck.

Lower weapon decks.

The Chaos

seadude

Some better and slightly improved pics of the finished model that I took several days ago.

seadude

zenrat

Nice.  Looks good with a red star.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JoeP

Most excellent work, comrade! Decadent imperialist Westerner shall tremble to enter space with such a glorious Soviet wessel
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2017, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on February 23, 2017, 02:27:04 PM
Chris.

You must have some BIG shelves Chris, that'd be over 18 feet long!  :o

At least I shouldn't have too many problems with fiddly bits Kit  :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on September 05, 2017, 04:15:53 AM

At least I shouldn't have too many problems with fiddly bits Kit  :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:
Chris

I don't know about that mate. Just gives them loads more room for tiny bits that need to be fitted  :banghead:  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on September 05, 2017, 04:15:53 AM

Chris

You could get inside and do all the 'not so fiddly bits' from in there.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit