Short SC.5/45 Jet Belfast

Started by Hobbes, August 27, 2016, 10:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

I see a whole lot of PSR in my future:

Scotaidh

Nice work.  I kinda actually like the "vents" at the join - they could be built-in JATO exhausts or countermeasures!  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Hobbes

After PSR and a base coat:

63cpe

Good show Hobbes! I can't wait to see this one finished!

Hobbes

And here is the finished product:

Front fuselage and landing gear are Belfast, wing and tail section use C-141 parts. Decals are my own, using an unallocated serial in the same range as the Belfast, and the name 'Titan'.

The Jet Belfast was slated to use a version of the RB.178 engine (which never progressed beyond test runs). I found little data on this engine, just the engine diameter. So I drew an enlarged Conway nacelle of the correct diameter, and had these 3D printed:

I managed to build another tailsitter. I can remove the entire wing (this makes transporting these large projects a lot easier) so I have access to the center section of the fuselage. But there's a bulkhead just ahead of the wing, so I can't put the lead in the nose any more. When I put the lead behind the bulkhead, I need so much I fear the landing gear will collapse. So I'll have to build another perspex stand.

I see it's still missing its wing decals.

PR19_Kit

That is SUPERIOR Harro! I totally love it.  :wub: :thumbsup:

How about poking a hole in the bulkhead with a soldering iron and pouring some 'lead' shot and PVA glue into the nose?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Nice!  :thumbsup: Wonder how it would look in Hemp?

Tophe

Good! :thumbsup:
It is not a one-week build, not at all, but the result was worth waiting :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Another beauty ! Great job on this one. Love the look. Barely recognizable but till recognizable !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Looks great, sir - good job!  If you're really worried about the tail-sitting bit, I can think of a couple of fixes. 

1 - Stretch the fuselage forward of the wing.  Many much work there ...

2 - Add a bumper wheel under the aft fuselage - you know, to prevent 'fuselage strike' on short take-offs.  IIRC, the Vulcan had one, as did the Saab Draaken, so there's precedent.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 29, 2019, 01:51:28 AM

2 - Add a bumper wheel under the aft fuselage - you know, to prevent 'fuselage strike' on short take-offs.  IIRC, the Vulcan had one, as did the Saab Draaken, so there's precedent.

And Canberra's used a tail prop. Not sure if it was official issue or the crew provided their own though.

That's brilliant Harro, looks absolutely right  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I now remember I planned to add support posts on either side of the ramp, which would be a nicer solution than a perspex stand. I'll see if I can make a couple of convincing hydraulic cylinders in brass rod.