Grumman Bearcat FB.2, No.807 FAA, HMS Theseus, 1949

Started by Knightflyer, August 08, 2016, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Well this was a quick build due to the loss of a cockpit canopy on my original Bearcat build. I bought a second Bearcat....for the canopy and then realised it was silly to downgrade a new kit and so this build commenced

DAY ONEInterior painted and detail painting to engine and undercarriage. Undercarriage bays boxed in, filler applied and some sanding carried out. Fuselage, wings and tail-planes assembled trapping cockpit assembly and engine in place. Fuselage primed. One coat of Humbrol 90 to lower surfaces

DAY TWO Masking tape removed and second coat of Humbrol 90 applied, at least two coats of Humbrol 123 applied. Propeller painted. Drop-tank and undercarriage doors primed.

DAY THREE Third coat of Humbrol 90 to under-surfaces, first coat to undercarriage doors and drop tank

DAY FOUR Second coat to undercarriage doors and drop-tank. Recoat to lower surfaces of tail-plane. Glosscote applied to wings and tail-planes.

DAY FIVE Undercarriage doors and wheels glued in place. Drop-tank glued in place. Glosscote to fuselage, drop-tank

DAY SIX Application of decals, gluing of propeller in place

Grumman Bearcat FB.2 of No.807 Squadron FAA operating from HMS Theseus in 1949
The failure of Hawker to successfully develop the Hawker Sea Fury led to Grumman Bearcats being ordered and serving with the Royal Navy in the 1940s and early 1950s

Finished Build here of course along with everyone elses  ;D http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42214.0.html
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Top job, Knightflyer, well done! I love me some FAA whifs.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Knightflyer

Hi Kiwi-Z(ee) and Captain C(ee)  (sorry couldn't resist, my excuse is it's (relatively) early over here ;) ;D)

Thank-you both for your positive feedback, it makes it worthwhile to know that other see something in my builds as well  ;D

However Captain C ....."this is gonna be good " ???   To quote Jack Nicholson ...'This is as good as it gets'  ;D I'm not planning to do anymore to this one

NARSES2

Bearcat really suits FAA colours especially with the low demarcation.  Really nice build of what is a nice little kit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Quote from: Knightflyer on August 09, 2016, 12:10:42 AM
However Captain C ....."this is gonna be good " ???   To quote Jack Nicholson ...'This is as good as it gets'  ;D I'm not planning to do anymore to this one

It's funny as that last pic wasn't visible when I said that ? Weird. But if that's a s good as it's gonna get I'm ok with that ! Love the markings, the white lettering really sets them off. Great job on that sexy little bird.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Knightflyer

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 09, 2016, 03:07:50 AM
Maybe this is why I liked it so much.  :thumbsup:

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,29830.msg585226.html#msg585226

PS-I like yours better  ;D

Very nice - I like yours!  ;D (I now declare the first meeting of the Bearcat Build Mutual Appreciation Society open!  ;D)

I like the addition of the spinner on yours. I did consider adding a spinner to mine, just so I could add some colour other than the dark grey/duck egg green. I even considered some form of additional squadron marking (a coloured or checked stripe on the fin?) but nothing looked quite right, so I left it)

I notice from your thread that Chris (Narses2) did a BPF one .... that's on my list to do as well...those dark blue and white roundels on a dark blue aircraft  :wub:

JayBee

JMN mode on.

At that time the Sea fury's and Fireflies on Theseus all wore the higher demarcation line.
How do I know, my Dad served on her at that time and I have some photos.
See here.

JMN mode OFF.

About eight years ago I did a FAA Bearcat with a Centaurus engine.

Cheers !
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Knightflyer

Quote from: JayBee on August 09, 2016, 09:02:42 AM
JMN mode on.
At that time the Sea fury's and Fireflies on Theseus all wore the higher demarcation line.

Now I'm not wanting to get into a JMN arguement (however I say that it sounds like I want to!  ;D) but when you say 'at that time' when do you mean? In my title I say '1949' and in my pre-buld research I came across photo's and profiles that show low demarcation Sea Furies on Theseus in 1949, included an oddity that has low demarcation grey AND Korean war black and white bands. However the main reason I choose low demarcation grey was 'to be different' looking  ;D

Also just checking - what deck letter is on the aircraft carrier in the picture? Is that not HMS Triumph? or is it a generic photo 'of the time' rather than any specific ship (and I know nothing about the deck letters of the RN post-war carriers!)

Anyway on a less combative note - I DO like your Centaurus Bearcat  ;D :wub:

JayBee

I do agree that the actual point in time is important, and I am not certain.
I do have two, very small photos, from my Dad's collection showing a Sea Fury with the low demarcation. However this appears to have been an early trials aircraft as it has a four bladed prop.

As far as my model goes, and the original post appears to have disappeared into the mists of time. I stated in the back story that the Russian "advisors" in N. Korea said :
"Watch out for the little fat stripy winged bastards, they can really spoil your day!".
Unfortunately I have lost touch with my cousind daughter, who is a professional interpreter based in Moscow, as I would love to see how that looked in Russian.
I would also love to see how it would look in Russian script.

Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

NARSES2

Lovely nostalgic photograph, reminds me of when we had a Navy.

Whats the helicopter in the top, upper right ? A Belvedere ? Not sure, there's something in my brain that says it isn't ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

It's a Piaseki but just what model I have no idea.

Cats are not real. 

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 10, 2016, 12:49:44 AM

Whats the helicopter in the top, upper right ? A Belvedere ? Not sure, there's something in my brain that says it isn't ?

Looks like a Piasecki HUP Retriever.  Common on US Navy carriers of the period, and used by Canada and France.  Army versions known as the H-25 Mule. 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2