Do the Bearcat-Finished Jan-17 2013 !

Started by Captain Canada, September 21, 2010, 07:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Anybody who looked at "stash" thread  knows I grabbed a Bearcat yesterday, and I'm doing the Bearcat, and now I wanna leave my home, 'cause I can't leave it alone, and you might want to get a bearcat of your own....but that's neither here nor there, Mr. Wilcox.

Anyway....

It's the first one I've ever done. I had originally planned on doing it in the colours of a FAA Wildcat, but upon looking at the model, it just doesn't feel right. So here's what I'm looking at :

Gloss blue with the Hammy Grey/US style roundels as a FAA bird ?
Sand/dirt ( or whatever they call it ) with the blue undersides and the round US Stars ?

Thanks guys
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Well I did mine in Glossy Sea Blue with BPF roundels and it looks right  :thumbsup:

Another option could be USN in the Atlantic scheme - grey/white
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

philp

I am doing the Monogram kit in RN Korean War markings if I ever get time to mask those stripes.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Captain Canada

You guys aren't helping...... :thumbsup:

I don't think the sand and brown Med colours will work either. Might just have to go blue. Or maybe switch up completely abd go RCN 2-gray.

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

I think it would look good with XDSG/Slate Grey scheme Todd ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

How about RCN, to go with the Corsair?

Or FAA to go with the Skyraider?

;D

Kinda surprised Jennings didn't do a Bearcat in either scheme.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

Another beauty, Ian.....no doubt about that !

I've been saying for years that we should have a page for each type of a/c. Not the idea bank, just a place3 with one pic of each finished model, see what looks good and what doesn't.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cliffy B

You could always backdate it and put it in USN Tri-color camo with one of the G-symbols on the tail.  If you want to go REALLY retro you could try natural aluminum and orange-yellow wings with a brightly colored tail.  If you don't I will!  :wacko:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Captain Canada

Alrighty...scratch one off the list ! This guy has basically been done for awhile now. Added the canopy today, the gear, painted the tank and installed it, decalled and a wee bit of weathering.

Revell 72nd scale

Bearcat FR.1
Yellow Nosed Squadron, RCN
HMCS Magnificent

The RCN was seeking a replacement for the Seafire in early 1945. With delays to the Sea Fury program, surplus Bearcats were offered up from USN stocks to fill the gap. The five bladed propeller was found to add more stabilty during take offs.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cliffy B

Very believable!!!!  It needs an FAA counterpart to go with it now  :wub:  Excellent job man.

Do you have any Micro Set/Micro Sol?  Those two would help your decals settle down onto those pesky raised panel lines immensely.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

pyro-manic

Very smart - nicely done! That's one down... ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

I have doubts with a Mid-Stone/Dark Earth/Azure Blue variant, could look pretty odd - unless you make a Pakistani aircraft from it. AFAIK, some Sea Furys had such a livery there, and Kuwait, Saudi Arabia or Qatar might be other potential users with this look. Still, it could look pretty odd on that aircraft...

Another idea for a FAA Bearcat: I know that some Gannets had an all Dark Blue livery - not the USN tone, it is/was more greyish, and darker than Extra Dark Dea Grey. How about that?

NARSES2

Bearcats look right in FAA colours  :thumbsup: Did a BPF one in overall gloss sea blue
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.