High Conspicuity Hawker Hurricane mkI 'bee'

Started by MikoLee, May 20, 2024, 02:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikoLee

As the RAF brought into service it's first swept wing jets such as the Supermarine Swift and Hawker Hunter in the early 1950's to replace it's first generation Gloster Meteors and DH Vampires a tactical requirement was discovered, the new jets were fast and agile but tactics needed to be developed to intercept slower piston engine aircraft and helicopters, early jets had no means of decelerating rapidly to engage such targets so techniques needed to be developed, for this purpose Hawker Aircraft Limited created the high conspicuity Hurricane mk1'bee' to allow their Hunter fighter to practice engagement manoeuvres on slower moving aircraft.

Miko (this was actually done using a Spitfire PR19s for EE Lightnings )

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Very nice! Makes me think of the ultimate target tow plane.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

MikoLee

Quote from: kerick on May 20, 2024, 08:14:52 AMVery nice! Makes me think of the ultimate target tow plane.

Yep, that's where I got the idea from, but I couldn't get the diagonal striping to look right!

Miko

McColm

PFJN

Wardukw

Dude I love this 😀 😂...beautifully clean paint work..great stuff bud 👌 👍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

comrade harps

Quote from: Wardukw on May 20, 2024, 04:34:56 PMDude I love this 😀 😂...beautifully clean paint work..great stuff bud 👌 👍

Ditto!
Whatever.

kerick

Those are really clean lines! Better than I could do!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Oh yeah, I like that.  :thumbsup:

Specially the way the yellow rings on the roundels merge into the black stripes, magic stuff!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

2996 Victor

Love this! Great modelling and superb paintwork, and very plausible back story.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48