Fairey Tinydyne.

Started by zenrat, May 05, 2024, 03:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Really like the concept Fred. Keep going!

I might use it as inspiration for another project...

David aka 63cpe

McColm

You could try changing the wings to those of the Lockheed S-3A Viking or Bristol Type 170 Freighter. The Vikings' undercarriage works well with the Rotodyne and the engines aren't too far away from the line drawings of the USNAVY variant.

zenrat

Did they have cyclic pitch control on the rotor?  I've wondered about that (and the whole question of how they controlled them when in a hover) but never bothered to investigate.

If you zoom into this picture and peer intently you can see Kit peering over the fence some mechanism in the rotor head which might do that job.

Airfix of course provide zero detail of this area.

When I find my Rotodyne book I shall investigate properly.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

The thing that photo shows me is that the Rotodyne was a lot smaller than I thought it was.  You live and learn  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 08, 2024, 05:15:25 AMDid they have cyclic pitch control on the rotor?  I've wondered about that (and the whole question of how they controlled them when in a hover) but never bothered to investigate.

If you zoom into this picture and peer intently you can see Kit peering over the fence some mechanism in the rotor head which might do that job.

Airfix of course provide zero detail of this area.

IIRC yes, they did. The Revell kit's rotor is much better detailed around the hub, but of course it's really too small to fit on an Airfix 'dyne. But it may act as source material for a bit of scratchbuilding.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Neat idea Fred. Pretty sure you will come up with a wizzo paint scheme as well

zenrat

Quote from: buzzbomb on May 08, 2024, 03:35:11 PMNeat idea Fred. Pretty sure you will come up with a wizzo paint scheme as well

my first thought was Air Gully International, similar to this Ziking Ragnar...

ziking Ragnar  - 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

...or Vic Air...

Piasecki H-21 VicAir 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

...Frankston Skycabs...

Douglas AD-5 Skyraider  - 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

...or just good old zenrat industries.   ;)

Weston C-25G Marion - 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Rick Lowe

I like the clean, simple Green and White.  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 09, 2024, 10:46:33 PMI like the clean, simple Green and White.  :thumbsup:

It does look a very attractive (& bright) scheme - Certainly an eye-catcher. :mellow:

But, maybe, the zi blues? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I do have some Aeroflot transfers.  Which would make it a Tinydyneski...

Painted the insides of the fuse today.  I don't think much will be visible through the windows so I stuck to solid blocks of colour just to give an impression of different coloured carpet, walls and ceiling.  Orange, Brown, and Cream.  Good seventies colours.
Once this is done I can glue the fuse together so I can cut it apart again.
Fred

NARSES2

I like the Vic Air scheme personally  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

The Weston C-25 is my personal favorite 😍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 10, 2024, 03:57:10 AMI do have some Aeroflot transfers.  Which would make it a Tinydyneski...

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2024, 01:34:22 PM
Quote from: zenrat on May 10, 2024, 03:57:10 AMI do have some Aeroflot transfers.  Which would make it a Tinydyneski...

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:

:banghead:  :banghead:  ;D