Israeli M247 DIVAD

Started by Jakko, February 01, 2024, 12:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on April 21, 2024, 04:51:39 AMMaybe, in order to encourage honesty, sharing, learning, and teaching we could add a Wiffies category - Biggest F**kup and recovery?

Or "Best zombie builds - resurrected from the grave". Reminds me of my recent DSB V200, which went so well until the spray varnish came to play and ruined everything to the point that I had to start all over gain, so close to the finish line...  :-\

Jakko

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 21, 2024, 06:33:05 AMwent so well until the spray varnish came to play and ruined everything
This is probably my main reason for not using varnish unless I need to: it just stands too much chance of going wrong. The way it always changes the perceived colour is another important reason.
... I know all this and more ...

Jakko

This model got interrupted by correcting and painting a Sherman I was given. Last week, though, I did spray this model with AK 3rd Gen 11352 IDF Modern Grey, which didn't work out as well as I thought it would. It's probably just that this was the very first time I ever sprayed that brand of paint, so I'm not really used to how to thin it properly yet, but at least it covered the primer well and showed that there were no flaws in the primer coat that remained visible under the paint. Then this afternoon I sprayed highlights with Vallejo 71.138 US Sand:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

buzzbomb

Oh yes... coming along swimmingly :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Jakko

You cannot view this attachment.

After the spraying, I applied an all-over wash of Italeri 4951AP Dark Brown Wash, slightly thinned with water. This is the first time I used this (having only recently purchased a bottle to try it out) and it's a bit thinner than some other pre-mixed washes I've used, but it also seems to have the useful quality in that tide marks etc. can be gotten rid of by just brushing some more wash over them — at least if you do it soon.

When that had dried overnight, I drybrushed the model first heavily with Humbrol 119 Light Earth, followed more lightly by 187 Sand — both tins of at least 25 years old, but never opened. I came across these at a model show in February and immediately bought all the tins I thought I have a use for :) The difference in consistency was noteworthy, though. The 119 took me an advertising break plus three songs on the radio to stir before it had no more lumps in it, while the 187 took less than one song. On the other hand, the 119 remained usable on my brush for much longer than the 187, for which I had to dip it back into the paint probably three times as often despite not drybrushing it as intensively.