Pilatus Shadow R.1, 14 Sqn, RAF Waddington 2019

Started by kitbasher, November 13, 2023, 03:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Through a combination of sensors, the Shadow R.1 contributes to the comprehensive intelligence gathering of the RAFs ISTAR Force. Its output is particularly valuable to ground commanders.

The Shadow's high definition electro-optical and electronic sensors complements other platforms and capabilities, helping analysts prepare comprehensive intelligence products.  Satellite communications links enable information to be downloaded during a mission and the aircraft is also fitted with a defensive aids suite.

Manufactured by Swiss company Pilatus, the Shadow R.1 has been developed from that company's PC-12.  The Shadow was selected as a special missions platform from the outset against an urgent operational requirement to improve intelligence gathering in Afghanistan, similar to the Pilatus U-28A Draco as operated by the USAF.

Five aircraft were delivered to the RAF and initially operated by 5 (AC) Squadron in 2009, the Shadow features an under fuselage electro-optical sensor turret, a variety of integrated sensors and an extensive communications capability, managed from operator consoles in the cabin.

5 (AC) Squadron's Shadow Flight became 14 Squadron in 2011, after the former Tornado unit disbanded under the 2010 Strategic Defence and Security Review.  The Shadow fleet is being upgraded, and further expanded to eight aircraft, under the Shadow Mk2 Upgrade Programme.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

This was originally Mike McEvoy's build of the Sova-M Pilatus U-28, which came my way in the months after his passing away.  The model was stripped of paint, some parts were removed and refitted, additional aerials added and of course the whole thing was repainted in overall Medium Sea Grey.  Roundels came from a 35+ year old sheet that came free with SAM, fin flashes cut from an Xtradecal sheet, the yellow rescue decal from the spares box (originally from a long lost Airfix Jet Provost T5 I think), and everything else home made.

I think the PC-12 is quite a good looking machine - and no, Chris, the propeller does not look like an afterthought!

Of course in the so-called 'real' world the RAF's Shadow R.1 is the Beech Super King Air-based machine (of which ZZ417 is one).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Very nice. I'm more than sure Mike would have approved.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Flyer

Nice :thumbsup:

I like the PC-12 too, even if it does look like someone stuck a prop on a VLJ.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Old Wombat

Excellent job! :mellow:

Never met Mike but he sounds like a great bloke, with his head firmly ensconced in all the wrong places ... Like us. ;)

I'm sure he would have been very proud of what you did with his old kit. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

I like it ! The Shadowy types are always a favourite, and this one sure hits the mark. Nice one !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

I kept on thinking it was an RW model after seeing it on the stand at Telford.  :thumbsup:

Sounds like it SHOULD have been too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on November 13, 2023, 03:10:32 AMI think the PC-12 is quite a good looking machine - and no, Chris, the propeller does not look like an afterthought!

Quote from: Flyer on November 13, 2023, 04:09:08 AMI like the PC-12 too, even if it does look like someone stuck a prop on a VLJ.

See I'm not the only one  :angel:  :angel:

Nice one sir  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Accidental Loggie

Converte et subvertere

kitbasher

Thanks for the positive comments, chaps.

Next refurb - either a Hawker Tornado or a reworked (more than just a repaint) Supermarine 'Shrew'.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter