C-133 Cargomaster D.E.W. strip alert support *finished*

Started by sandiego89, December 03, 2022, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on January 26, 2024, 02:42:55 AMI'll need vehicles to pose with my 133.  Anyone make 1/144 Stalwarts?

Germania Figuren offers 3D-printed ones, AFAIK But I am not aware of any kits..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on January 26, 2024, 02:42:55 AMI'll need vehicles to pose with my 133.  Anyone make 1/144 Stalwarts?

Some different variants here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5195762

Scaled to 1/76 but, again, easy to re-size a digital file.

Perhaps not so easy to find a source to do the resin printing, though... sorry.

How difficult would a scratchbuild be in that scale? Depending on what you wanted to do with it, you could use basic block shapes and detail them up.

zenrat

Thanks mate.

I have found some vehicles in 1/144.  Just not those I want.  Yet.

A Stolly might actually be relatively easy to scratch up given they are all flat panels.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

I wouldn't even use flat panels:

An angled block for the cab,
an open box for the tray (well, ok, there's your flat panels...),
a bar of something for the under part (most of which will be hidden by the wheels anyway).
The rest is surface details/cladding.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 25, 2024, 06:47:35 PMCorrect Kit, the Roden kit comes with both types of doors.  Perhaps the only noticeable difference between an A and B?  I think the clamshells on the B would look great displayed open- and handy if you are transporting an ICBM around.  Gave a bit more loading length.     

I checked mine and it doesn't have the extra doors. :(

But maybe because they included the Thor missile they felt enough was enough. It shouldn't be too difficult to scratch a couple of doors though, given a bit of 15 - 20 thou and a hair dryer.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Actually I lied, sorry. :(

It DOES have the B version doors, but doesn't mention them anywhere. There's a couple of small bits in the same sprue, but I've no idea whet they're for. Any ideas?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2024, 09:32:15 AMActually I lied, sorry. :(

It DOES have the B version doors, but doesn't mention them anywhere. There's a couple of small bits in the same sprue, but I've no idea whet they're for. Any ideas?

you got a Thor and BOTH doors!  nice

I'd go with the B doors.

The B instructions posted on scalemates show the clam shell doors and the small upwards swinging piece at the aft end of the opening.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/roden-335-douglas-c-133b-cargomaster--1250736

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Ah, that could be a problem, I've already glued the big upwards opening door for the A model in place. :-(

Mind you, no-one will be able to see it unless the model's upside down, and the Thor will be in the way anyway.  ;)  ;)  :wacko:  :wacko:

There's another extra bit, looks like a little bulkhead, moulded end-on just past the doors, does it mention that anywhere too?

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

From the instructions for the B model I downloaded, it looks like the tail section mouldings are different to the A model, with different cut-outs around the tail door.

I'll have to do some styrene surgery on mine to get the new B model tail doors to fit. That extra, sideways moulded bulkhead thingie I mentioned above isn't mentioned anywhere on either the A or the B model instructions.  :-\

Regards
Kit