Krupp Raumer Antarctic vehicle in white/winter camouflage?

Started by seadude, November 26, 2022, 06:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

This is a project I'm starting to do early research for in preparation for possible building in January or February next year.
I'm thinking of turning TAKOM's 1/35 scale Krupp Raumer mine clearing vehicle into a what if German WWII Antarctic exploration vehicle.
Thing is: Do I make it all white or would I add some sort of winter type camouflage?
In Antarctica, there's no trees, bushes, forests. Just lots of white, snow, and occasional mountains.
What were German WWII tanks and other vehicles painted for winter camouflage in Norway, the French Alps, or other winter areas?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

rickshaw

Depends if you want to hide your vehicle from observation or for safety's sake make it obvious to an observer.  If your objective is to hide it, you need to figure our where it is to operate and then camouflage it appropriately.  Most snowfields back patches of differing colours and these are what you have to make use of to hide your vehicle.  The occasional rocks, differing coloured snow and so on make it harder to spot a vehicle.  If OTOH want people to see your vehicle then bright colours are your friend - reds, oranges, yellows.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

White with patches of various shades of pale blue for the camouflaged version.

Something similar to this:

But toned right down.

Next best is something similar to this:

Or a combination of the two.

;)

[Note: The pixelation is optional but highly unlikely for the era.]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on November 26, 2022, 06:43:35 PMWhat were German WWII tanks and other vehicles painted for winter camouflage in Norway, the French Alps, or other winter areas?

Generally just given a coat of whitewash over the existing colour scheme. Nothing elaborate and quite often quite shoddily applied. I'm not even sure they would have bothered unless the equipment involved was likely to see action.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

One thing to bear in mind is that Antarctica is NOT like North America/Europe in Winter. So, the white-washing common on American, Commonwealth, German & Russian armour would not be of much use & would probably be stripped of in the first half-serious blizzard.

The ice & snow on Antarctica can be hundreds of metres thick. You get more bare patches of rock, sometimes lots of bare rock, sometimes covered in lichen, near the coast but inland it is usually solid snow & ice.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 27, 2022, 07:05:08 AMOne thing to bear in mind is that Antarctica is NOT like North America/Europe in Winter. So, the white-washing common on American, Commonwealth, German & Russian armour would not be of much use & would probably be stripped of in the first half-serious blizzard.

The ice & snow on Antarctica can be hundreds of metres thick. You get more bare patches of rock, sometimes lots of bare rock, sometimes covered in lichen, near the coast but inland it is usually solid snow & ice.

The Germans claimed an area of Antarctica near the peninsular.  If you're operating there, you could wander into dry vallies where petrified wood existed.  Not standing but littering the valley floor. The would also tend to be a lack of snow. 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

There are surüsiringls few dedicated winter/snow paint schemes out there - most of the time, even today, you have a temporary coat of whitewash applied over standard camouflage. So you have a lot of creative room to come up with an original snow/winter scheme.  ;)

The US Army had some standardized winter options among their MERDC system, but, again, I'd rather think it's a suggestion to apply whitewash over a standard "summer "camouflage

Something I devised was for a mecha model, a light grey base with slate grey wavy lines to break up the outlines (hard to tell under the snow, though); today I'd add some darker contrast lines as 3rd color, enhancing the visual disruption effect:

K
ryømek Confrontation +++ 1:72 Nexus Rider Combat Walker (Fantasy Forge multimedia kit)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

killnoizer

I would think about white with a added section of grey / light blue , divided horizontal . Similar like great warships were sometimes painted .

What a wonderful vehicle , thank you for showing.  This Forum is wonderful to me ...
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/