DONE (pics+story @p.5) +++ H0 Scale CFL Class 3800 locomotive

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 04, 2022, 01:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Final update for today... The basic tone is RAL 3005 (Weinrot), which comes close to the CFL's ruby-red primary locomotive tone since the Sixties - it could be a tad more brownish, but it's O.K.

H0 scale "3804" (Class 3800 dual-system multi-purpose locomotive); Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL; Luxembourg National Railway Company), 1991 (What-if/scratch-built)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

After several layers of spray paint detail painting started, with dark grey roof segments (and pantograph bases, so that they blend in well), silver-grey louvres, shiny metal handles and some yellow highlighty for the ladders' handrails.

H0 scale "3804" (Class 3800 dual-system multi-purpose locomotive); Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL; Luxembourg National Railway Company), 1991 (What-if/scratch-built)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

This has to dry thoroughly overnight, tomorrow some weathering and decals should follow. We need some yellow cheatlines for a proper CFL look!

PR19_Kit

That's looking pretty classy Thomas, and the chassis is much improved with the wheel rims blackened too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Thank you, Kit. Good news: the light bulbs arrived today, and now we have light on both end of the locomotive.  :lol:

Gondor

I see what you mean about the colour, the orijinal is more Mauve than Red but then it is a whiff. Looks good anyway  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

About to apply a final coat of matt varnish (roof conduits stil missing here, though):

H0 scale "3809" (Class 3800 dual-system multi-purpose locomotive); Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL; Luxembourg National Railway Company), 1991 (What-if/scratch-built) by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

After that, only the clear head- and taillights have to be created (ClearFix and glass painting colors) and the windows have to be put back in place (so that they hopefully hold upon touch!). Looking good so far.  <_<

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on November 12, 2022, 08:59:31 AMI see what you mean about the colour, the orijinal is more Mauve than Red but then it is a whiff. Looks good anyway  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Well, the tone is hard to graps, and the Class 3600 in the picture is quite worn. Colors on screens are also always hard to judge.

For example, here's a look at two of the CFL's Class 1600 NOHAB diesel locomotives side by side; a very saturated picture, but the difference of the same shade of wine red is evident! "My" RAL tone is not too far off...

Pellson

I think you've made a very good judgement re the red. From my Luftwaffe struggles, I'm very much aware of how much more a matter of it "looking good" than " being accurate" it is.

And, being an ex-fullscale railer myself, it's really cool to see a loco whif in motion!  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 13, 2022, 03:17:39 AM
Quote from: Gondor on November 12, 2022, 08:59:31 AMI see what you mean about the colour, the orijinal is more Mauve than Red but then it is a whiff. Looks good anyway  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Well, the tone is hard to graps, and the Class 3600 in the picture is quite worn. Colors on screens are also always hard to judge.

For example, here's a look at two of the CFL's Class 1600 NOHAB diesel locomotives side by side; a very saturated picture, but the difference of the same shade of wine red is evident! "My" RAL tone is not too far off...

Going by that picture you are quite right.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

How about adding some black window surrounds? Many locos have rubber extrusions there to keep the glass in place.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I considered this, but I left the window frames "as is". The clear inserts already have silver trim OOB, and it looks fine on the model. The locomotive has now been finally assembled and can be considered "finished". It's looking very good, much better than expected, even though the matt varnish turned out to be quite glossy. But the finish is even and it actually suits the wine red base well.  :lol:

Scenic pictures will be challenging, though. Because I do not have a proper H0 landscaoe at hand I will take separate pictures and photoshop scenes with the help of real pictures. Doing this with an extended pantograph will be challenging, though, and probably take some time.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 14, 2022, 12:09:04 AMI considered this, but I left the windoiw frames "as is". The clear inserts already have silver trim OOB, and it looks fine on the model.

Oh yes, that'll make a lot of difference.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Congratulations for your build and for having chosen a category usually neglected by whiffers.  :thumbsup:  AND for using 1/87 and not that dastardly 1/76... ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

jcf

Nice.  :thumbsup:

Also reminiscent of the Pennsy GG1. ;)

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

loupgarou

The beautiful  :wub:  GG-1 has ben the  subject of industrial scale model whiffing.
Mehano/IHC has done the GG-1 in New Haven. Great  Northern and Milwaukee liveries. Railroads that never had the GG-1.  :banghead:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.