Difference 1/32 & 1/35 scale figures?

Started by JayBee, February 09, 2022, 11:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

What I am looking for is military type figures in 1/32 scale to fit into AIRFIX cars.
Anyone out there got any suggestions.
I am sure that I can get plenty of 1/35 scale figures, but would they be too small?

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TomZ

If you take a person of 1m 80cm long(6 feet),
then in 1/35 it would be 5.1cm high.
In 1/32 it would be 5.6cm high.

So for 1/32 a figure in 1/35 would be about half a centimetre(0.2 inch) too long.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Old Wombat

At 5.1cm the 1/35 figure actually converts to about 178.5cm (~5' 10") in 1/35 but in 1/32 would be 163cm (5' 4") tall.

However, some 1/35 figures are somewhat taller (~5.3cm/5.5cm) which puts them in the 170cm (5' 7") to 175cm (5' 9") range in 1/32.

Trumpeter & Live Resin figures tend to be in that larger 1/35 size range & Legend figures come in at about 5.2cm (182cm (6' 0") in 1/35 or 166.5cm (5' 6") in 1/32).

So, it really comes down to how tall you need/want your drivers/passengers to be.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TomZ

I build a lot of aircraft in 1/72 and if I compare the pilot figures there is a huge difference is size.
They appear to be sized so they fit in the cockpit rather than to the scale listed on the box  ;D ;D

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

jcf

True 1/32nd scale figures won't necessarily fit into a 1/32nd car for numerous
reasons, one of which is that the interior isn't actually quite to the stated scale.

This is also very common with aircraft models e.g. the old Monogram 1/48th Do-335
cockpit is well under scale and a 1/48th pilot isn't going to fit no matter how much
you slice-n-dice.
;D

Another factor is who makes/made the figure and when, some of the earliest of the
Tamiya 1/35th figures are under scale, Italeri can vary etc.

The seated driver figures most commonly seen are racing drivers.

The Airfix 1/32nd "Monty's Humber" kit comes with figures of himself and a driver.

The Airfix 1/32nd "Rommel's Half-track" also has a driver figure.

The "Old Bill" bus has seated figures, including a driver, but he's sitting bolt-upright, ditto the driver
in the civil omnibus version of the kit.

My personal inclination would be to go ahead and use 1/35th figures, especially in closed vehicles
as the size difference won't be particularly noticeable and the figures will probably require surgery
to fit in the vehicle.
;)

JayBee

OK Technicallities aside, having just got hold of the old Airfix Beach Buggy I need a couple of figures for it, the kit is 1/32.
You do get two figures with it, a male in shorts, and a bikini clad female. However  I need two US Military style figures.
Any suggestions?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Old Wombat

After a quick search:

1/35 US Special Forces Humvee Crew in Afghanistan (3 Resin Figures)

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-ac-models-acm-35002-1:35-us-special-forces-humvee-crew-in-afghanistan-3-resin-figures

1/35 US Army Vehicle Crew Set (4 Figures)

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-legend-productions-lf0129-1:35-us-army-vehicle-crew-set-4-figures

1/35 Special Forces Polaris Crew (2 figures)

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-airborne-miniatures-abm3535-1:35-special-forces-polaris-crew-2-figures

1/35 US RSOV Accessories & Crew (4 Figures) for HobbyBoss kit

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-black-dog-bd-t35079-1:35-us-rsov-accessories-crew-4-figures-for-hobbyboss-kit

1/35 US Army Stryker AFV Driver

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-legend-productions-lf0133-1:35-us-army-stryker-afv-driver

Some Left Field suggestions:

1/35 MH-6 Little Bird Helicopter Crew set - Pilot #1 (left) for Kitty Hawk kit #KH50004

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/for-other-scales-model-planes-live-resin-lrm35050

1/35 MH-6 Little Bird Helicopter Crew set - Pilot #1 (right) for Kitty Hawk kit #KH50004

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/for-other-scales-model-planes-live-resin-lrm35051

1/35 HH-60G Pave Hawk Helicopter Crew - Pilot Vol.1

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-live-resin-lrm35024-1:35-hh-60g-pave-hawk-helicopter-crew-pilot-vol-1

1/35 HH-60G Pave Hawk Helicopter Crew - Pilot Vol.2

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-live-resin-lrm35025-1:35-hh-60g-pave-hawk-helicopter-crew-pilot-vol-2

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

IIRC some of the older Dragon figures were closer to 1/32 as well.
Though depending on what final effect you want, they might need a lot of resculpting of clothing - but this could apply to most other options too.

There is a set of Italeri Modern Carrier Deck Crew, which could be painted with civilian cargo trousers, and the WW2 PT Boat crew have t-shirts to start with...

I still think there is a market for Multipose-style figures in civvies - male and female.(IN STYRENE, PLEASE!!)
Someone out there must have thought of this?

frank2056

Many Trumpeter figures are large for 1/35. They're also so out of proportion and un-human that you have to wonder if  they were sculpted by aliens from Omicron Persei 8 who'd never seen a live human.

In many cases, using 1/35 in 1/32 vehicles is fine. For instance, these Lindberg Show Rods are listed as 1/32, but even an old Tamiya 1/35 figure looks big in them.

zenrat

When I display 1/25 open cars at model shows I often sit Lego Minifigs in them.  They fit nicely behind the wheel and they upset those who think I should be taking things seriously.

It is for this reason I have Hitler, Rommel, and SS Driver minifigs awaiting the build of a Mercedes G4.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 11, 2022, 02:46:36 AM

It is for this reason I have Hitler, Rommel, and SS Driver minifigs awaiting the build of a Mercedes G4.

;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

:thumbsup:   thank you zenrat     1/2 a second earlier and I would have read that with a mouthful of coffee....
but brilliant, utterly utterly brilliant 
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

jcf

The first thing I'd do is loosely assemble the vehicle - tape, bluetac, touch of glue - whatever
works, and check the fit of the figures to the vehicle as far as pose, leg and arm position/length
etc. are concerned and use that as a starting point for figure dimensions. I'd also measure the
distance from the front edge of the seat to the pedals/seating compartment fwd. wall, ditto
from the back of the seat cushion - where it meets with the seat back to help determine thigh
length and the distance from the front surface of the seat-back to the steering wheel. The width
of the seating surface will also help as will seat-back angle.

From this buildup it appears that the driver's hands don't reach the wheel and the seats angle
back quite a bit, the majority of the figures Guy has linked, with the possible exception of the
helicopter crews, have too upright of a posture, they'll be even less likely to reach the wheel.

In the few photos I've been able to find with people actually in a Bugle Buggy, the kit figures
look like they're over scale.

I've put figures in cars before, closed cars are the easiest because most of the time you don't
see that you've had to amputate their feet in order to fit.
;) ;D

The figures that come in the kit are a decent basis for a Mad Max type scenario.  :wacko:

zenrat

Most car models are designed to be built unoccupied so if fitting figures you'll have to either cut away some seat cushion or some thigh.  Unless they have seats with no or thin cushions like racing seats.
Looks like the driver in the buggy above needs a wedge inserted into his lower back to sit him more upright.  Seat back could then be adjusted to fit him.
She appears to be holding her breath to hide her tummy.  She could do with her head tilting forwards and i think i'd also turn it to one side.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

She's on a VERY strict diet..............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit