Retro WWII Apache whopper chopper

Started by kerick, January 20, 2022, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Poz67

kerick

Thanks for your interest but it's not going to be done in time. I had the painting done to an acceptable point then I sprayed some acrylic gloss from the craft store before decals. The area I had painted white around the fuselage crinkled up like mad but the wings were fine! Same paint on the same days, one area fine, three inches away it looked like alligator hide! Almost went up against the wall. Trying to put spares box decals on with mixed results. I don't know but I might buy a new Apache, salvage the P-40 parts and start over. Fresh decals too.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

Sorry to hear that, it really sucks when things go wrong. Hope you can salvage it.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 01, 2022, 05:07:17 AM
Sorry to hear that, it really sucks when things go wrong. Hope you can salvage it.

Indeed
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

I think I'll get a new Apache kit and try again. This time I'll use the air brush, fresh paints and fresh decals. I tried doing invasion stripes but not again. Royal PITA.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

I'm thinking of some alternative fuselage options. Or a big bottle of break fluid for stripping the crap paint.
Tophe the Wise

AeroplaneDriver

Quite sad this one didn't make it in.  I really liked the look of it and I think it would have done well.  Hoping you manage to finish it. I'll be happy to move it to "Current and Finished Projects" if I can...if not then I'm sure Chris or some other Global Mod will. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kerick

Yes, moving the thread would be a great idea. I was thinking of asking just that earlier today but then forgot.
I'm fooling around with the front fuselage of an A-10 and the tail boom of a Blackhawk. It's a two day snowstorm and I'm totally bored.
Good news is the spray booth I made is working fine so now I have no excuse for not using the airbrush. That might help cure some of my paint issues.
Tophe the Wise

AeroplaneDriver

Done!  Cant wait to see it finished!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Damn shame Kerick ..ive been there before with the mystery of the strange arse paint which plays silly buggers...ive had that with painting full sized cars ..cant make that airborne and dude this was looking so good too.
That beast kinda reminded me of a chopper which the US was playing in the early 80s??
Yeah build another K and for piece of mind spray your primer from a can..ive always had good luck with that.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Are you thinking of the Lockheed Cheyenne or the Sikorsky attack chopper version of the Seaking? Both would have been great to see in service!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

The Cheyenne was the bugger for sure and that thing was a beast and the seaking attack chopper ??? .
I know they modded a single engined verison for a Rambo movie but they actually built a prototype ?
That i think is worth hunting down Kerick mate .
Scotaidh sent me a wonderful pile of models he didnt want and dude im only to happy to except em and among that lot is a frame for a 72nd AH 64 with blades and rotor head..might just combine it with a Hellcat and see what happens  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

I was hoping that you'd use the entire P-40 tail to replace the Apache's angular abomination of a vertical stabilizer ...

I like what you did with the engines - as for closing the open ends without adding length, had you considered a series of cut-off cones (ends of drop tanks) with the innermost cone being the longest and thinnest? 

It's not much of a picture, but I hope it conveys what I was trying to say...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."