Under the Black Flag GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

Rheged, its were the term "panzer boy" comes from  though I was sure it was Benelux into Germany  :unsure:   
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

perttime

Water is the natural habitat of pirates, so ships and seaplanes should work fine.
Airships have precedents like Crimson Skies.

Land vehicles and land based aircraft are more smuggler territory, so they should work fine there. Or is there some way to put them in a more pirate/privateer kind of context?
Can highwaymen be classed as pirates, or aircraft operating from some secret bases, in support of illegal activites on land or water?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy counts attacking towns on rivers and coastlines, to loot them, as piracy.

The Finnish wikipedia puts the last (till now) act of piracy here as a case in 1943 when people stole cargo from a shipwrecked vessel.

scooter

Quote from: perttime on February 09, 2022, 10:10:37 AM

Land vehicles and land based aircraft are more smuggler territory, so they should work fine there. Or is there some way to put them in a more pirate/privateer kind of context?

Mad Max-style post apocalyptic dystopia, Crimson Skies (along with various other steam/dieselpunk dystopias).  Also note that the four Belarusian government officials were recently been accused of air piracy by the US in last year's diversion of an Ryanair flight to arrest an opposition journalist.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Somebody (I think it was on BTS IIRC) came up with the idea of a pirate tram... ;D You get to that dangerous section with two parallel track and hope nothing will happen, but too late! tI looms out of the fog, 12-pounders ready in the doorways and a raffish crew hanging off the side, ready to swing across, board your tram and stop it before the lines diverge again...

In similar vein, I'd like to suggest a pirate narrowboat, complete with a muzzle-loading cannon, grappling hooks and an illegally souped up engine that can get it up to a devastating 8 mph...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

scooter

Who's going to do the The Crimson Permanent Assurance?
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

Nick

Beer smuggling across the Great Lakes, Maple Syrup smuggling across the Quebec/Canada border, Great Train Robbery etc....

I like this Pirate Tank - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oNZ8J

Here's a good one - The Pirate Buses of Olde London Town! https://londonist.com/london/transport/londons-pirate-buses

zenrat

Quote from: Nick on February 10, 2022, 01:15:46 AM
Here's a good one - The Pirate Buses of Olde London Town! https://londonist.com/london/transport/londons-pirate-buses

Some of the unlicensed minicabs we used to use in London could be considered Pirates...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

IMHO "Truck Hijacking" qualifies as piracy, especially
the organized crime version of the past. The Cosa
Nostra was heavily involved in truck hijacking and,
of course, there was the highjacking of a competitor's
trucks/cars carrying hooch during Prohibition.

nighthunter

A more modern take, would be the original The Fast and the Furious
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

And the bad guys in Mad Max 2 trying to grab the tanker full of fuel.

So a Road Pirates vehicle might have nudge bars, wheel protectors, boarding ladders, pumps and tanks...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on February 09, 2022, 06:50:05 PM
Somebody (I think it was on BTS IIRC) came up with the idea of a pirate tram... ;D You get to that dangerous section with two parallel track and hope nothing will happen, but too late! tI looms out of the fog, 12-pounders ready in the doorways and a raffish crew hanging off the side, ready to swing across, board your tram and stop it before the lines diverge again...

In similar vein, I'd like to suggest a pirate narrowboat, complete with a muzzle-loading cannon, grappling hooks and an illegally souped up engine that can get it up to a devastating 8 mph...

Not quite the same thing, but...

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

ysi_maniac

2.   Any subject that meets the criteria of piracy (including privateers, buccaneers and smuggling) set in any time period is eligible.  This can also include Intellectual Property piracy - unlicensed production of videos, music etc. which is different from simple theft, if you can work out how to include it. This might be an avenue for our "story tellers" to explore ? Plus of course one shouldn't forget Pirate Radio. If still in doubt about your plans contact the Mods.

You will have to forgive me. I find this GB quite confusing and unclear. I do not understand why you mention intellectual property.

Now I am giving more weight to the aesthetic side:

A figure in a car.
The guy looks a bandit, loaded with magazins for his automatic weapon, more than a pirate, but with helmet.
The car steampunk or dieselpunk style. Amphibian car? Maybe

:blink: :blink: :blink:
Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

BTW: 3D and 2D finished entries will go in the same thred?
Will die without understanding this world.

scooter

Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx