Author Topic: Canberra interceptor  (Read 1167 times)

Offline chrisonord

• DIDN'T READ THE QUESTION PROPERLY
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Paint it gloss??......HOW DARE YOU!!!
Re: Canberra interceptor
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 11:37:03 am »

Glutton for punishment here thought it was a good idea to  start my airfix  Bristol  Belvedere.  What a horrible kit that is  :banghead: :banghead:

NOT a good idea! :(

You need one of the Maintrack 'Upgrade' kits for that really, but nowadays they're made by Whirlybirds and cost a FORTUNE!  :banghead:
The fit is terrible  it really is, I don't know how  Airfix could have let it out of the factory  like that. It's got the  stamp on it 1960 so it is a bit vintage

I got hold of one only a few years ago to have a go at Martin's radar conversion. And I have to agree, the fit is one of the worst. Mind you, the Superfreighter was nearly as bad.
I have built a  super freighter I didn't think it was that  bad a build
 I turbo propped it

Cheers  O.W. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 12:47:53 pm »

Glutton for punishment here thought it was a good idea to  start my airfix  Bristol  Belvedere.  What a horrible kit that is  :banghead: :banghead:

NOT a good idea! :(

You need one of the Maintrack 'Upgrade' kits for that really, but nowadays they're made by Whirlybirds and cost a FORTUNE!  :banghead:
The fit is terrible  it really is, I don't know how  Airfix could have let it out of the factory  like that. It's got the  stamp on it 1960 so it is a bit vintage

I got hold of one only a few years ago to have a go at Martin's radar conversion. And I have to agree, the fit is one of the worst. Mind you, the Superfreighter was nearly as bad.
I have built a  super freighter I didn't think it was that  bad a build
 I turbo propped it

Cheers  O.W. :thumbsup:

Must have just been the box I got then, but the two fuselage halves looked like they came from two different mould halves, one side did not match the other and I had a heck of a time cutting plastic to get things to line up.  I converted mine into a Mk.31 used by the RCAF.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline chrisonord

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 01:03:37 pm »
Mine is  sat on the window led under an inch of dust  awaiting  its Honduras navy decals . I like them and would have liked to have built another in 1950's  RAF  service.  That kit of yours sounds like  it was a  mix up  of a Monday morning kit and a Friday afternoon  job and knock kit :o
Chris
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Offline rickshaw

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 01:36:32 am »
Yesssssssss!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wub:

I love it, just in my own line of thought, and the B-57 canopy makes so much sense.

Those Red Deans are real monsters, aren't they? I wish I could find the ones I have stashed away somewhere so I could finish mine!

Interesting about the badly fitting radar nose as mine was the same, but it was the fuselage that was oddly shaped, not the resin add-on.
Th nose had me scratching my head for a long time as it just wouldn't fit right even though both surfaces look right for each other. I ended up blanking the fuselage with styrene sheet and putting som styrene block in between the nose and fuselage to give it a big enough gap so as to putty and shape the correct angle for it all to meet up properly. It took several attempts and when I thought I had the right spot I had to break off the super glued nose and do it again. Total pain. The thing will have to have some yaw compensated for now I dare say  :  :rolleyes:
Thankyou Fred :thumbsup:

Interesting.  I didn't really have many problems with my F-114 Interceptor which served with the USAF. 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:38:53 am by rickshaw »
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Offline Mossie

• Twiglet doctor
  • What-IF SIG
  • Don't laugh at his mule
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 04:13:32 am »
That looks good.  :thumbsup:. I'v planned a similar paint job for mine, if I ever finish it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 09:52:22 am »
Nice one Chris ! Always liked this machine, and still to this day have never built one. I do have one of the more recent Airfix renditions in the stash tho. I really like the layout of yours.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline chrisonord

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 10:20:47 am »
Thankyou  Todd :thumbsup: