Author Topic: Douglas F4D-3 Skyray  (Read 684 times)

Offline joncarrfarrelly

• Bertie Bassett
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Re: Douglas F4D-3 Skyray
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2020, 05:06:35 pm »
Nice.  :thumbsup:

Seriously folks, why would you want to get rid of the lovely curves of the Skyray wing?
Just about every other deltoid/semi-deltoid* is boringly straight edged.

* BTW the Skyray doesn't have a delta-wing, it's classified as a low aspect-ratio
swept wing, it's based on R.T. Jones work at the NACA during WWII. Jones also did
work on swept-wings, and his first papers on the subject were published internally
at the NACA before any of the swept-wing material from Germany was known.
The NACA sat on his research and it wasn't shared with the US aeronautical industry
until after the German work was in hand, and it was shared reluctantly. It's one
of the oddest incidents in aeronautical engineering history.
 :o
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2020, 06:14:10 pm »
Love to see new ideas on problem solving. And she's looking great as well ! Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2020, 02:04:03 pm »
Nice.  :thumbsup:

Seriously folks, why would you want to get rid of the lovely curves of the Skyray wing?
Just about every other deltoid/semi-deltoid* is boringly straight edged.

* BTW the Skyray doesn't have a delta-wing, it's classified as a low aspect-ratio
swept wing, it's based on R.T. Jones work at the NACA during WWII. Jones also did
work on swept-wings, and his first papers on the subject were published internally
at the NACA before any of the swept-wing material from Germany was known.
The NACA sat on his research and it wasn't shared with the US aeronautical industry
until after the German work was in hand, and it was shared reluctantly. It's one
of the oddest incidents in aeronautical engineering history.
 :o

I know, it's a bit of heresy on my part...  :wacko: But i agree, it's a beautiful design as is, that's why i decided to leave the wings as they are and just change what really bothered me.  :thumbsup:

Love to see new ideas on problem solving. And she's looking great as well ! Cheers !

Thanks, Captain! Glad you like what you see here!  :thumbsup:

Last night i did some work on the inboard sidewinder pylons...

Going to cut up the twin launchers to replace the very weak launchers on the kit's pylons. Also going to use Aim-9D Sidewinder and Aim-7 Sparrow missiles from a Hasegawa US air to air missiles set instead of just the kit's Aim-9Bs, that's why i need 4 launcher rails... Plenty of "Go get'em!" sticks... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"