Lufthansa BV-238 airliner

Started by TomZ, November 13, 2019, 09:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Lufthansa BV-238 airliner

Following the success of the BV-222 airliner the German airline Lufthansa approached the Blohm & Voss company with the request to create an aircraft that could carry more passengers, faster and over a greater distance. Design of what was to become the BV-238 started in 1941. As a proof of the concept a smaller scale aircraft FGP-227 was built in Prague. Experiences with this aircraft contributed to the final design of the BV-238.

The BV-238 first flew in April 1944. The BV-238 was powered by six DB603 engines. With these the aircraft could carry 50 passengers over a range of 7000km at an average speed of 350km/h.
The first commercial flight of the BV-238 with Lufthansa was in October 1944 when the first prototype flew from Berlin to Tokyo and back. By 1946 the BV-238 had replaced the BV-222 in Lufthansa service, a total of 34 aircraft being delivered to the airline. The BV-238 was also sold to airlines in Sweden, Switzerland and the Netherlands.

A military version, serving as a maritime long range patrol aircraft was proposed but not proceeded with as the Luftwaffe saw no need for such an aircraft.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Old Wombat

Neat! :thumbsup:

Even better, it appears to exist in a Nazi-free timeline. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

:thumbsup: Good! May I try to imagine a zwilling version (with Corel PhotoPaint)?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

An interesting hull shape. Are the multiple steps aft of the main step there on the RW aircraft?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

TomZ

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2019, 05:22:33 AM
An interesting hull shape. Are the multiple steps aft of the main step there on the RW aircraft?
They're not visible on any of the photographs I have of the prototype.
Probably added after testing of the prototype to the production aircraft  ;D

TomZ

zenrat

Quote from: Tophe on November 14, 2019, 01:39:54 AM
:thumbsup: Good! May I try to imagine a zwilling version (with Corel PhotoPaint)?
I found this online.  Don't look too closely at the centre engines.  Yours will be much better Tophe.

Quote from: TomZ on November 14, 2019, 11:29:28 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2019, 05:22:33 AM
They're not visible on any of the photographs I have of the prototype.
Probably added after testing of the prototype to the production aircraft  ;D

TomZ

This photo appears to show multiple steps.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/04/26/incredibly-this-is-actually-the-oldest-surviving-footage-of-native-americans/
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 14, 2019, 11:50:59 PM

This photo appears to show multiple steps.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/04/26/incredibly-this-is-actually-the-oldest-surviving-footage-of-native-americans/

So it does, well spotted Fred.  :thumbsup:

I've never seen them on any flying boat before, but it was quite common on racing hydroplanes of the period.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on November 14, 2019, 11:50:59 PM
Quote from: Tophe on November 14, 2019, 01:39:54 AM
I found this online.  Don't look too closely at the centre engines.  Yours will be much better Tophe.
Thanks. Asking Google "Bv-238Z", I found this Bv-238Z aka Bv-476, yes, thanks, an another one. So I think I will not try to make a third one (civilian better but...), this is enough, I think.
Thanks again.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

McColm

TomZ

TheChronicOne

Of course I love it! Big ol' Tall Body.  ;D :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

ysi_maniac

The ultimate whif: well conceived and designed, and perfect execution.  :wub: :thumbsup: :wub: :thumbsup: :wub: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.