Author Topic: A-1K Skyraider, 1991, -Desert Storm- USMC  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Flyer

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: A-1K Skyraider, 1991, -Desert Storm- USMC
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2019, 09:08:23 pm »
Seems strange to offset flying surfaces to counter torque, on flying models the engine is often offset a few degrees and that works fine, when the motor stops the aircraft glides straight ahead, these full size machine's would yaw if they had a engine failure, I would have thought that would be undesirable...  :unsure:
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2019, 11:50:50 pm »
I've always thought that an engine failure with a Skyraider would result in a brick-like glide and a rapid evacuation of the crew!  :o
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Scotaidh

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2019, 01:44:45 am »
Seems strange to offset flying surfaces to counter torque, on flying models the engine is often offset a few degrees and that works fine, when the motor stops the aircraft glides straight ahead, these full size machine's would yaw if they had a engine failure, I would have thought that would be undesirable...  :unsure:

I suppose the thinking is that most powered aircraft are not flown with the engine off.  However, if it does happen, then if they've got time to worry about it, there's always the rudder trim control.  We had an aircraft shed it's prop whilst flying over jungle - I can tell you the pilot was suddenly much too busy to worry about a few degrees yaw! He probably didn't notice it, other than to correct with a few pounds of automatic boot pressure.  :)
"We're all here because we're not all there."

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2019, 09:32:17 am »
Update! Should have some pictures of note later but right now just imagine in your mind seeing a pile of painted and glossed rockets, a bomb, and all the landing gear; completely finished and only needing to be glued on. I wanted to do as much fiddly, small, and tedious things as I could early on so I don't get toward the end of the build and say, "AH man, now I have to paint canopy framing?? I have to paint tiny tires???? UGH!!!"   This way, it's all done and I can get right into the "fun" part of building the plane itself.

I still need to do a bit of work on the gear doors. I have to paint... like.... 80% of them, let it dry, then reposition them in the clothes pins to do the other half and later repeat this for gloss so they take longer to get finished. I also need to paint the cockpit insert and the instrument panel. I still need to finish painting the proper and the engine pistons..... and the gun barrels.....   I think that's about it for the "smalls?"   :unsure:  Either way, I intend to be done with all these today at least even if I don't get to the plane itself.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline salt6

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
    • http://www.salt6.com/
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2019, 11:49:45 am »
This is where some guys turn to used egg cartoons to hold all those parts and keep them from getting lost! I really like this project and Iím looking forward to seeing the paint job.
BTW the offset vertical stabilizer is very noticeable on the Corsair!

Cupcake and mini cupcake pans work well also.
Steve B

"The time has come,
         The Walrus said,
     To talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships
         and sealing wax
      Of cabbages and kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
      And whether pigs have wings."

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2019, 12:14:04 pm »
Yes, good advice there, fellas, thanks! I forgot to mention that I'm going to find something to use for next time. It'll be a good time saver being able to prime all these little parts in one pass instead of one at a time. One of those "now why didn't I think of that before?" Things.  :mellow: Well, now I know, and better late than never!  ;D  Thinking of a styrofoam block to hold all the toothpicks and shove some dowels in the sides at strategic places to use as handles. Fantastic stuff......
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline comrade harps

• lactose intolerant teetotal vegan gemini
    • The art of comrade harps on Flickr
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2019, 02:37:20 am »
Do you see the chicken on the front smoking a cig?

Thing's a bloody "Rorschach" test! There's a mermaid or similar towards the rear, too! :o

It's winged so probably an angel, although
a harpy would be more in keeping with the bird
theme.
 ;D

I think you'll find that it's a rooster...

As for the slim and buxom lass with the long hair:

More at: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/301-400/walk385_CH-53/walk385.htm
Whatever.

Offline comrade harps

• lactose intolerant teetotal vegan gemini
    • The art of comrade harps on Flickr
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2019, 02:39:29 am »
Something to remember on creating your load-out is that the
temps in the area had a negative effect on the performance
of aircraft, which would possibly be even worse for a piston
engined machine like the Skyraider limiting what it could
actually get off the ground.

One way around this might be to make at a nocturnal operator. Have any spare LLLTV or FLIR pods?
Whatever.

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2019, 05:47:11 pm »
I see nips!!  :wacko: 

Don't think I have any night equipment without fishing it out of another kit and I'm not up to the task of searching.  ;D Not only that, but they did just fine in Vietnam which has much the same temperatures but with the added detriment of high humidity; if anything, Skyraiders would have it better in the dry air, not worse. Also, elevation. SEA had plenty of areas with mountains or hills (Montagnard got their name from it) and I do believe most of the Persian Gulf region was much closer to sea level and thus another reason why performance could be better there, not worse.  :mellow:

Finished off the last of the painting and whatever on the small parts. Started construction of the rest of it. Also found me a nice reference picture for the camo.  :wub:

Missed a couple things but that's most of it.  :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2019, 06:58:03 am »

Also found me a nice reference picture for the camo.  :wub:

That's was what I used too, when I did my Agusta CH-151 Thunderbird.  Interesting story I was told about that camo scheme, apparently it was developed in one of the western USA deserts, and when it was used in the middle east, all the troops stood out like a sore thumb. Something to do with the "chips" -----
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:00:49 am by kitnut617 »
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2019, 10:43:40 am »
I believe it! I never thought it looked very effective. I remember thinking even way back then when I was still a kid, "That's some pretty flashy stuff, who came up with that idea?!"  ;D The stuff they made for the 2000's seemed much better but it wasn't half as cool.  :mellow:  That choco didn't last more than 6-7 years or so, right?  Waste of little Brad's tax dollars is what it was!   :angry: :angry: :angry:  ;D

Plans for today... well....  uhhh...    I need to clean up the seams on the fuselage I guess then I can glue the wings on. Could be painting by later today depending on motivation and energy level.  :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2019, 02:47:58 am »
A desert is a desert is a desert isn't it?  What do you mean they come in different colours?
D'oh!
 :banghead:

;D ;)
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2019, 06:38:41 am »
A desert is a desert is a desert isn't it?  What do you mean they come in different colours?
D'oh!
 :banghead:

;D ;)

I worked that into my backstory for the CH-151 Thunderbird. It goes along the lines that Agusta were told the scheme was to be desert camo, and that's what they painted it as, not checking to see what the spec was ----    ;D  Then it was too late to change it 'cause the Canadian Forces needed the aircraft badly in the middle east.

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2019, 12:01:09 pm »
I'd "malicious compliance" it paint it all-over white. "You said paint it like the desert, you didn't say which one!"   One of the largest deserts on Earth is/ is in Antarctica.  ;D

Hopefully the seams are dry on this today so I can get back to work on it. I've pretty much done all I can until they dry up. Found a pile of transfers to use as marking, too, I just need to figure out the best ones to try to get everything as close to "plausible" as I can but I'm not buying any new stuff for this so if something is "off" then so be it.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2019, 12:54:56 pm »
I'd "malicious compliance" it paint it all-over white. "You said paint it like the desert, you didn't say which one!"   One of the largest deserts on Earth is/ is in Antarctica.  ;D

And most of the Canadian Arctic is designated a desert, it receiving less precipitation each year than the Sahara desert. It's just that what snow that does fall, stays around for a very long time ----  ;D