Author Topic: BAC Phoenix AEW.1  (Read 140 times)

Offline McColm

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
BAC Phoenix AEW.1
« on: August 14, 2019, 01:23:48 pm »
The  donor kit is the Roden 1/72 An-12 Cub which I started sometime this year with the intention of it becoming the Shaanxi KJ-200 or ZDK-03 or Y-8J with the Eeryie AEW antenna,  new nose and rear end.
 The kit caused me numerous problems with the build and I gave up on the engines supplied,  changing them with 4 Rolls-Royce Griffons taken from the Revell Avro Shackleton AEW.2 kit. These have been replaced by two twin jetpods taken from the  Hasegawa  Boeing  B-47E. The rear ramp isn't a perfect fit and I took a chunk out of the front fuselage to get the cockpit glazing to fit.  I'm not too sure where I put the undercarriage legs,  although I did see the wheels when I was looking for something else.
 Having had a bit of a tidy up I have added  the rotodome from a Grumman E-2 with the stand.
 As the An-12 Cub is much smaller than the Lockheed C-130 it seems to me that it could be used as an alternative to the Lockheed Martin P-3 AEW.
The landing gear is taken from the Airfix BAe Nimrod MR.1/MR.2 kit,  with the canopy from the vacform Martin SeaMaster kit. 
The cockpit interior needs some detailing with additional lumps and bumps.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:25:49 pm by McColm »